ACFishing

Thule Hullavator crossbars

37 posts in this topic

Im gonna purchase a used Hobie and a used hullavator. What crossbars and what do i need to install the crossbars that are compatible with the hullavator? Im currently planning to run it on a 2008 Lexus RX350

The installation will be easiest with Thule SquareBars.  You can do it with their Aero bars but it's more complicated.  The bars must over hang the roof line my a minimal amount, so make sure you don't get them too short. 

1 hour ago, atv223 said:

The installation will be easiest with Thule SquareBars.  You can do it with their Aero bars but it's more complicated.  The bars must over hang the roof line my a minimal amount, so make sure you don't get them too short. 

Im considering getting the 60 inch in that case but is there anything else I need to install the bars? I heard I need to get the 4 foots to attach to the car?

Do the square bares.  You'll need the feet to attach to your car and depending on your car those can be pricey -  the bars too fwiw.   Also get bars that will clear the widest part of your care or you'll be hitting the side of your car.   I should caution you though if you get bars that are too long they wills stick out and I promise you you or someone you don't know WILL whack their heads on it and it hurts ---  ask me how I know.  

8 hours ago, pressphotog said:

Do the square bares.  You'll need the feet to attach to your car and depending on your car those can be pricey -  the bars too fwiw.   Also get bars that will clear the widest part of your care or you'll be hitting the side of your car.   I should caution you though if you get bars that are too long they wills stick out and I promise you you or someone you don't know WILL whack their heads on it and it hurts ---  ask me how I know.  

Are there specific feet I need to attach to the Square bars?

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, ACFishing said:

I would suggest you go to the Thule website.  They have a page where you put in the info about your car and it will suggest the proper square bar mounts for your car.   It called Fit My Car or similar

Edited by pressphotog

I would also highly suggest you get the lock mechanisms too if they don't have them already.  If hullavator have locks in them but you don't have a key get the number off the cylinder and you can get replacement keys from Thule for a few bucks a piece.   I have had more than a couple people try to steal the hullavator so you should protect it the best you can. Lock everything from the kayak to the hullavator  with a long bike lock and the hullavator and mounts using the built in locks if you buy them. 

15 hours ago, ACFishing said:

do the runners on your roof allow the foot to wrap the bar? if so i highly recommend the thule crossroad rapid footpack.  a 60" should be plenty of space to slide the bars over and not hit the side of the car.

20210503_153037.jpg

Edited by gobigblue

6 hours ago, gobigblue said:

do the runners on your roof allow the foot to wrap the bar? if so i highly recommend the thule crossroad rapid footpack.  a 60" should be plenty of space to slide the bars over and not hit the side of the car.

20210503_153037.jpg

Mine seem more square like and not as circular. If you google Lexus RX 350 2008, you should get an idea of what my vehicle is currently like.

1 hour ago, superstriper said:

check the factory rack to be sure -I have a new lexus gx460 and with the "accessory" rack the thule bars dont work

Im gonna make a drive to REI, I have a friend that went over there and they installed it for him. 

On 5/28/2021 at 10:44 AM, ACFishing said:

Im gonna make a drive to REI, I have a friend that went over there and they installed it for him. 

I've had a bunch of RX's similar to yours and the crossroad rapid foot worked on all of them and looking at photos of your 2008 you look to have the same factory racks I did.  IIRC I 'think' I had 60 inch bars on my Lexus that were offset some to the side I had the lift on (passenger in my case).  You might be better off with the next size up bar but remember you don't want it to be a head hazard so keep this in mind.  

My last comment it don't leave your bars on over the winter.  Take it all off - it takes just a few minutes.  This will keep the weather from beating up the clamp that goes on the bar and the fasteners on the cradles which will be the first things to show signs of deterioration and rust.  

On 5/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, pressphotog said:

I've had a bunch of RX's similar to yours and the crossroad rapid foot worked on all of them and looking at photos of your 2008 you look to have the same factory racks I did.  IIRC I 'think' I had 60 inch bars on my Lexus that were offset some to the side I had the lift on (passenger in my case).  You might be better off with the next size up bar but remember you don't want it to be a head hazard so keep this in mind.  

My last comment it don't leave your bars on over the winter.  Take it all off - it takes just a few minutes.  This will keep the weather from beating up the clamp that goes on the bar and the fasteners on the cradles which will be the first things to show signs of deterioration and rust.  

Ive received my 60 inch bars and I think it's too big for my vehicle, the bars wont allow me to move the feet in tighter to attach to the bars on my lexus, This thing is a EXPENSIVE NIGHTMARE. Im going to opt out for a 53 inch. 

Edited by ACFishing