beachbum12

Leader for Bluefish

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

I use 60 or 80# flouro all the time because I fish off the rocks. A big blue will chomp through even 80#, but I have a lot more luck with 60 and 80# when blues are around than I do with 40 or 50#. Don't use a swivel, to a rampaging school of bluefish, it's going to look like a baitfish's eye. If you're using wire, tie direct.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/26/2021 at 11:20 AM, TheSuperApe said:

Is this "knotable wire" any different from 7strand wire or is that just what yall call it up there? 

Yes it is a different wire that is more flexible and usually has more stands of wire... It is 49 stand wire..

Edited by sytheteacher

23 hours ago, mml4 said:

Yes -The AFW Micro Supreme is 7 strand but different from the regular stranded variety.

Marc

3 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Yes it is a different wire that is more flexible and usually has more stands of wire... It is 49 stand wire..

Thanks for the info im gonna give it a try for my king leaders for plugs.

22 hours ago, gellfex said:

I caught a keeper bass yesterday on a circle with a red coated wire leader when I was expecting blues. Go figure.

Just saw a guy hand-lining with heavy kite string (using clams) catch a 36” bass. Better to be lucky than good anyway...

My vote is for 80-100# fluoro. That and using a larger (longer?) plug with a single inline hook on the tail is how I go about fishing for big blues. 

But it’s never the blues you are actually targeting that cut you off. I like the suggestion about carrying “junk” lures to sacrifice to the yellow eyed Demons. I started buying those cheap-o bucktails off Amazon for a dime a dozen and fluke fishing with those if I have any suspicions there are blues around. Go figure last time that happened and I dropped a Chinesium bucktail down I caught an Albie before it hit bottom. Take that Spro! :point:

4 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Just saw a guy hand-lining with heavy kite string (using clams) catch a 36” bass. Better to be lucky than good anyway...

My vote is for 80-100# fluoro. That and using a larger (longer?) plug with a single inline hook on the tail is how I go about fishing for big blues. 

But it’s never the blues you are actually targeting that cut you off. I like the suggestion about carrying “junk” lures to sacrifice to the yellow eyed Demons. I started buying those cheap-o bucktails off Amazon for a dime a dozen and fluke fishing with those if I have any suspicions there are blues around. Go figure last time that happened and I dropped a Chinesium bucktail down I caught an Albie before it hit bottom. Take that Spro! :point:

Yeah, I'm not that good so any bass I get must be luck. That one was on a chunk I put out on the liveliner while I was jigging for fluke. It was a classic circle hook on sliding weight hookset, right in the corner of the mouth.  I started making my own bucktails because there's just so much crap to snag on the bottom around here it got old breaking them off at $5 a pop.

12 hours ago, TheSuperApe said:

Yes -The AFW Micro Supreme is 7 strand but different from the regular stranded variety.

Marc

My bad! Sy is correct- The package says 7x7 or 49 strands.

Marc

On 5/26/2021 at 11:20 AM, TheSuperApe said:

Is this "knotable wire" any different from 7strand wire or is that just what yall call it up there? 

Very different.  I think it's tungsten-based or tungsten alloy, which explains both its cost and its flexibility.

Sevenstrand is merely steel, and while it can be knotted after a fashion, is far less amenable to it, and better suited to crimps.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Very different.  I think it's tungsten-based or tungsten alloy, which explains both its cost and its flexibility.

Sevenstrand is merely steel, and while it can be knotted after a fashion, is far less amenable to it, and better suited to crimps.

I like 7 strand for bait but the constant casting and wiggle of an xrap will occasionaly back out a figure 8 knot with 7 strand. I could buy crimping supplies but i think ill try this stuff yall are talking about too.

I use 80lb mono

I used to use wire leader until a monster blue bit through them wire rated at 120lb, since then ive used 80lb and its worked well. I feel no need to use flouro for blues. They arent line shy in my experience. 

6 hours ago, Albie Ebani said:

If your using long hard lures why does it matter? i caught 15 blues on one 30lb floro leader with an sp minnow, had zero issues.

Not everyone is a professional fish slayer like you. Share your wisdom with the class

60-80 pound leader works for me check for chaffs after every fish and I horse them in. I don’t have any problems that way. I don’t like  shiny barrel swivels as I have been bitten off at the swivel in the past . I’m personally never concerned enough about being bit off that I’m useing wire. The only time I will use it is if I’m targeting sharks

I use AFW coated knotable wire leader about six inches of it for fly fishing, but its no different attaching it to a normal floro leader. I just use a three turn blood knot, it's awesome. I use 20 or 26lb for fly but you could totally use 50 or anything really with spinning tackle.