beachbum12

Leader for Bluefish

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rougesun said:

I used 50lb off the pier today because I ran out of 100lb. Got bitten off. Going back to 100lb as of right this freakin second. Lost the fish and a $5 Gotcha Plug. Damn yellow-eyed devils. 

You got off really cheap. 

5 hours ago, fmtuna said:

Try some knot-able wire.... 

How does this work? The tackle store recommended it to me over the packaged 18 inch wire leader, but I passed since not familiar.

How does this work? The tackle store recommended it to me over the packaged 18 inch wire leader, but I passed since not familiar. 

1 min ago, Ed Z said:

Do I have to answer 3 times ? :-)

Get a small spool of tie-able wire, couple of compaies make it... AFW, Tiger-wire... 60-60# should do it and it is flexible to use as a 10-12" bite leader.  If you want to you can bloodknot it to your leader and then Uni-knot a clip to it so you can switch out plugs.  The wire is not stiff so it does not effect the action of the lure, the blues can't bite thru it, and you still have a regular flouro leader to grab that does not cut thru your wet hand when you are leadering the fish.

In many, many cases, as stated above, it is the other bluefish int he school that are biting your plug off, not the one you already hooked... that why a little longer bite leader...  Just ask any fly fisherman that has targeted 'Cudas or sharks if tieable wire works...  if those razor blades don't cut it, the blues won't either...

I still use mono 50-80 lbs, mostly 50 or 60. Use a black swivel so one less thing to attract the fish for inadvertent cutoffs. Haven’t lost any lures this year. At some point my luck will run out I know but mostly I’m ok with that. Btw, I find mono much better than flouro for this purpose. I find that flouro suffers a lot of abrasions that look like a banana being peeled after just a few fish. 

80 seems to work best for me, but,

they're bluefish. You're gonna donate

some stuff eventually. Nice run of big

blues is great on sand or wading bayside.

I wont throw at them if im on a jetty unless

i can find a real comfortable place to land

em.  If they r around at night on the rocks,

im only throwin barb flattened bt's.

I’ve used wire leaders before. Never again. Big blues will chop through your wire leader like chewy lifesavers whether you like it or not. I don’t think it makes much of a difference. I just stick with mono leader for blues. They usually hit the back of plugs anyways. As long as you stay away from two sets of trebles you should be ok. I notice I really only use plugs when they hit the back hook and the belly hook gets their body. They turn. Leader hits their teeth. Snap. Magic lol 

I've caught loads of bluefish on 50lb mono and I can't even remember the last time I got bit off. Just check the leader often and retie if it gets chafed. Everybody swears up and down that bluefish don't care about wire, but I've been on extremely picky blues several times. 

5 hours ago, EricDice said:

You got off really cheap. 

Valid point! I know my bag is short some tackle this year, but still worth the sportiness of Atlantic piranha 

4 mins ago, hwsmike said:

Valid point! I know my bag is short some tackle this year, but still worth the sportiness of Atlantic piranha 

I like that nickname. 

4 mins ago, EricDice said:

I like that nickname. 

I’m making t shirts soon! You’ll see me on a beach somewhere sipping Margaritas with señoritas! :beers:

7 hours ago, Ed Z said:

I have been using American Fishing Wire Micro Supreme 65# test for at least the last 10 years. The stuff is terrific and I have found that Bass will hit it as well as Blues. I use the camo variant but the silver works as well.

If you use a Tactical Angler style clip and crimps on the clip end you run the risk of the clip turning around. With a little care and some practice I have found I can attach the clip with a carefully tied Palomar using the Micro Supreme. The wire is "kink proof" and about as supple as Perlon.

Marc