BoLin

What Kind of Power Winch Should I Buy for My Boat Trailer

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Been hand cranking my boats onto trailers for the last 25 years or so but, due to some medical issues, looks like those days are gone.  (At least for the immediate future.) 

I have zero experience with power winches and know even less about them.  Any and all info / recommendations anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. 

I have a 20' Grady (total weight loaded is about 3,000#) on a virtually new Load-Rite tandem trailer.  The Q's I know I need answers to are below.  I also know there are likely things I haven't even thought of yet.

-  What brand(s) of winches seem to hold up well? 

- I assume I need to get a winch rated for at least 4,000 #.  Is that enough excess capacity?

-  Is a cable or strap better for a smaller boat like mine?

-  Any idea where  I can get the tow vehicle wired to run the winch?  (Someplace like Pep Boys, auto electric shop' travel trailerler dealer???)

And like I said, anything I haven't thought of yet.A

Thx, in advance for any and all assistance

pioneeratsea ... What size / kind of boat are you pulling with the Powerwinch 915?  Someone local to me suggested the Powerwinch 912.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, BoLin said:

Been hand cranking my boats onto trailers for the last 25 years or so but, due to some medical issues, looks like those days are gone.  (At least for the immediate future.) 

I have zero experience with power winches and know even less about them.  Any and all info / recommendations anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. 

I have a 20' Grady (total weight loaded is about 3,000#) on a virtually new Load-Rite tandem trailer.  The Q's I know I need answers to are below.  I also know there are likely things I haven't even thought of yet.

-  What brand(s) of winches seem to hold up well? 

- I assume I need to get a winch rated for at least 4,000 #.  Is that enough excess capacity?

-  Is a cable or strap better for a smaller boat like mine?

-  Any idea where  I can get the tow vehicle wired to run the winch?  (Someplace like Pep Boys, auto electric shop' travel trailerler dealer???)

And like I said, anything I haven't thought of yet.A

Thx, in advance for any and all assistance

https://boatplicity.com/9031439-dutton-lainson-25200-electric-winch-f4000lb-boat?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping

Purchased a Dutton-Lanson 9000.  From what I could find out it should do the job.

Now I just need to get to work installing it.

As far as something else to go wrong ... couldn't agree more.  But at this point I really don't have a choice.

hi,

have you decided how to power?  mine is currently set up with a battery on the trailer, but wondering whether wiring to my tow (truck) vehicle would be a better option...  Last time out my battery about died, barely got the boat back on the trailer...  probably need a new battery...

mckeeper ... From what I've found out, most people run the power from their tow vehicle.  Which is what I intend to do.

I've seen batteries mounted on trailers and I'm sure that would work. But it seems like you'd need to keep a battery tender on it when not in use to make sure it's good to go when you need it.  Maybe your trailer battery just needs a good charge.

Mr. Bigdeal ... when else would you expect it to happen???  ;-)

This is the first power winch i've owned and it came with the boat when purchased earlier this year, so experience is limited.   A friend had a power winch and he used the tow vehicle for power which seems like the better method to me.    

I see many of the online trailer places sell a wire "kit" to get power from the tow vehicle.  Needs to be a fairly heavy wire.  Need to research more but at a quick glance appears to be about the same price as a new battery, but a 1 time purchase unless i sell the truck.

The winch I bought came with the 25' wiring harness.  It's 8 gauge wire with, I think, a 40 amp circuit breaker.   bought a set of quick disconnects so I can make a short piece to go from the back of the SUV to the winch.

I would guess that the big advantage to using the vehicle battery is that it's being charged while you drive and even while you're pulling the boat up. Also your dash gauge will give you an idea of battery health.  If it's on the trailer you have to keep it charged and check the volts every so often. 

Been running a PW from my truck battery for years with no problems. Just run a hot wire from battery to back of vehicle and splice it to the winch harness plug along with a ground wire.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 23' Parker and a two speed Fulton winch on the trailer.  The last time I used the gear reduced mode was the first year I owned the boat and trailer.  Sometimes I don't back the trailer far enough into the water and when I realize that,  I make the adjustment by backing trailer further into the water.  Bottom line is I entertained the idea of a power winch the first year but no longer consider it a necessity after six years of ownership with this boat.

Edited by whaler1889

whaler1889 - Been hand cranking boats on trailers for over 20 years.  Now at 65 and having had 2 surgeries in the last 2 months, hand cranking is not an option.  At least at this time.  Who knows about the future?