RAW

Last time you have seen a Mola Mola ?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

What is that thing? 

crazy junkies

DE025398-98C3-4A6E-8B89-2E014ED25FF3.jpeg

Wow....of course the media dug up dirt on them........

Last time was few years for me at west end jetty . Hiking out there and surfer bro come running out the water telling me bro there a huge shark out there. I laughed and kept hiking . On the end of the jetty fishing and what do i see , huge mola mola coming right in at me .. 

Last summer maybe early Julyish? Only a few miles off Shinnecock. Ocean was actually beautiful that day, fishing sucked but flat calm, dolphins, etc.

We see them fairly often offshore.  Some years, they're so thick in places that you have to be very careful not to hit one.

The real question is, When was the last time that you hooked a Mola?  We had one pick up a mackerel in a chum slick once, and it was definitely a unique experience.

Last late summer the east end of the canal was mola mola central I think I saw about twenty individuals while fishing the north jetty for about an hour, by far the most I have ever seen in one area or trip, even in many trips to the canyons, they must have been headed south 

9 hours ago, jettyjmpr said:

Last time i saw a mola mola was when i walked into walmart couple weeks ago

So, did you say “baby effin wheel” on video and post on YouTube? 

18 hours ago, Two Rock said:

Last late summer the east end of the canal was mola mola central I think I saw about twenty individuals while fishing the north jetty for about an hour, by far the most I have ever seen in one area or trip, even in many trips to the canyons, they must have been headed south 

One year, probably back in the mid-1990s, I was trolling for tuna south of Montauk, in the Butterfish Hole area.  Never saw so many molas.  

There were fish finning every few hundred yards.  There were a few going airborne (don't ask me how they get up enough velocity to do it, but they'll come out of the water like mortar shells); some boats were talking about seeing "200-pound tuna" jumping, but we got some good looks at what was coming out, and they were definitely molas.  Twice, even though we were only moving at 7 or 8 kt., we hit fish that were lying on their sides beneath the surface and we couldn't spot in the chop; we'd feel the boat bump and hesitate, and then move on, and then see a big dorsal roll up in the wake.(not too bad in an outboard, but I live in fear of hitting one at speed with the inboard that I have now; someone I know had a rudder torn out and almost sunk after doing that a few seasons ago).

Haven't seen the same numbers since, and over the past few years, we don't see nearly as many as we did a few decades ago, perhaps because water conditions have impacted their movements or the movements of the jellyfish that they feed on.

I see them frequently north shore of MA while fishing out of a 16’ tin boat

This one was last year or the year before.  You can see the shore in the top of the pic 

ABFD3BA5-4BAE-4B20-88D4-F09B1A18DAAE.jpeg