wasabi_VA

Small to medium size cooler for the yak

45 posts in this topic

I've been using a clunky, old school, small, square plastic cooler for bait and/or keep my lunch/drinks cool on kayak fishing trips. I figure after 20+ years I can buy a replacement. What are you using that goes well with kayak fishing? I don't need it to hold fish I catch so those big soft-sided coolers are bigger than what I need. Something on the the smaller side...

I just bought me a little something that would keep a couple drinks cool and maybe a sandwich as well though I don't usually eat like that on the water.  It small enough that it fits inside my small Hobie crate and in a couple trial runs is going to do exactly what I need.  It's made by carhart and if you search B08R1LWKTQ if will get you to the one I mean.  

I would buy whatever cheap soft cooler you can find and buy a high performance ice pack. Someone mentioned a brand here last year that was originally developed for transporting organs. I bought a few and they are amazing. I think Cooler Shock is the brand and you can get them on Amazon. They stay frozen practically solid for hours. 

Engel dry box. 30 qt. Awesome. Very very solid. And it’s got a couple of built in anchor points for tie down straps. Holds 5 3700 boxes and one or two smaller ones on top if needed. 

12 mins ago, SoCalStripers said:

Engel dry box. 30 qt. Awesome. Very very solid. And it’s got a couple of built in anchor points for tie down straps. Holds 5 3700 boxes and one or two smaller ones on top if needed. 

I was just looking up the same cooler on Amazon to reply to the OP.  I have one and have been pretty happy with it.  

35CC1CAB-D83C-45B6-9C39-4C13A3804220.png

33 mins ago, passiton said:

I was just looking up the same cooler on Amazon to reply to the OP.  I have one and have been pretty happy with it.  

35CC1CAB-D83C-45B6-9C39-4C13A3804220.png

Yeah. I had one on my SUP loaded down with 4 rods in those rod holders and a bunch of heavy saltwater tackle for the ocean for more than two years. I was kind of worried about one of the plastic anchor points breaking while I was out in the ocean. That could have been fairly hard to deal with — securing those rods and the box. But that never happened. Was constantly sitting down on it, etx etx. Very solid. 

3 mins ago, atv223 said:

I really like Rtic soft coolers. A bunch of different sizes. Waterproof and they float. 

Agreed, satisfied enough that I bought a second and I don't spend foolishly. Also have a Polar Bear bag style soft cooler, it stores almost flat and will keep things cool while being able to fit it in tight places. I paid around $100 for each. Coolers with shapes or hard coolers are more difficult. Only issues are zippers, none of the ones I own leak, many do, even the expensive ones.

If your not concerned with leaks (car, house, garage), Igloo has always been my go to. Read some reviews and take a look at them up close and see what fits the budget and the need. Don't discount used, many a good deal can be had.