BrianBM

NY to Fla by Auto-Train

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, MikeMc said:

I just paid $251 to fly round trip from Phila to Miami and that was with picking my seats both ways for $30 each way.

Newark to Lauderdale on United about $170 roundtrip, seat selected. (steerage, but your choice of seat :D  )

Decisions, decisions.  Twenty one years ago I and a buddy drove to Buxton from Long Island in one day. I wouldn't attempt it now, and the bride wouldn't be happy with driving on roads she doesn't know.

So far, the Nays have the decision.

23 mins ago, MikeMc said:

I just paid $251 to fly round trip from Phila to Miami and that was with picking my seats both ways for $30 each way.

Superb

I hope you have a tarpon story to tell after.

I enjoyed my many drives to Fla.  The last few seriously exhausted me for two days each way.

My wife's work allowed for discounts on the train- so I'm probably way off the mark on comparison pricing.

I enjoyed all of the waterways that we crossed, playing an instrument, sitting with my family with a beverage. Got to bring ALL of my stuff-fishing, metal detector, chairs, coolers, instruments, umbrellas, children's toys & clothes in my own car.

I enjoyed EVERY trip.

The price you got for flying even sounds tempting.

However- I always went down to spend time with my brother. Sunday is his Memorial (up here in Pa).

50 mins ago, Reel Deely said:

I just checked Jet Blue from JFK to Miami in December and the rates were about 280.00 round trip with seat choice.

The car rental was the expensive part, close to $800.

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

I'm not too worried about that. The rental prices should drop by then or I could take a shuttle to Islamorada and Uber when I need too. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

In the future if prices are like that check a big car dealership or collision shop that might have  a kiosk there.  Brought my mom's car into the dealer for some work the day before I met you guys and the van I rented was only $50/day at the Enterprise kiosk in the dealer.  They were out of the smaller $38 cars.

Edited by Tom T

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

In the future if prices are like that check a big car dealership or collision shop that might have  a kiosk there.  Brought my mom's car into the dealer for some work the day before I met you guys and the van I rented was only $50/day at the Enterprise kiosk in the dealer.  They were out of the smaller $38 cars.

Thats interesting. I will be hitting some dealerships and burning bridges with idiot used car salesmen all through the sunshine state!

12 mins ago, mybeach said:

Thats interesting. I will be hitting some dealerships and burning bridges with idiot used car salesmen all through the sunshine state!

This was Rick Case Honda.  It is a huge dealership in Davie....maybe 20 minutes from Fort Lauderdale airport.

I mentioned collision shops because one of the places I have used here has an Enterprise desk at their shop.

10 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

Been quite a while. That was true when I did it.  I remember for a short while after my days of even traveling to Fla-that there were deals of $99 to fly one way. That was cheaper than driving or the auto -train. 

But I am old and do know that the only thing that remains constant IS: that things change.

We are flying from Helsinki via Amsterdam on KLM to JFK, then from EWR to PBI on United, PBI to ATL on United, and then from there back to Helsinki via Amsterdam, again on KLM, for under 900 Euros each. I remember doing JFK to FLL R/T for under $100, and then getting an Alamo rental for about the same price for a week, but year, that was 20 years ago.

7 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Decisions, decisions.  Twenty one years ago I and a buddy drove to Buxton from Long Island in one day. I wouldn't attempt it now, and the bride wouldn't be happy with driving on roads she doesn't know.

So far, the Nays have the decision.

I drove from Tampa to Madison, Wisconsin in 23 hours in 1994.  Equipped with a CB, a radar detector, a case of diet Mountain Dew, and two boxes of salt-water taffy. 

I stopped only for gas and bathroom breaks.  I had been away for three weeks and wanted to sleep in my own bed.