1pc or 2pc surf rod?

Rate this topic

Cerealkilla43

12 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Is your hypothetical 11' a 50/50 or 70/30 split?

I won't buy a one piece 11' rod again.

Its between their 11' 1pc or 11' 2pc 70/30 split. Other than transport, why wouldn't you buy a 11'  1pc rod? I've been transporting 11' 2pc rods while connected for years with 0 issues

Edited by Cerealkilla43

9 mins ago, BrianBM said:

"Other than transport?"  If you get around with 12' one piece rods, you're either driving a semitrailer on the beach or more willing to risk theft than I am.

I literally use a standard cooler/rod holder hitch mount with 11' rods sticking out of it on each side of the cooler. Travel 30-40 mins too. Been doing this for 8+ years. Not one problem. 

Edited by Cerealkilla43

16 mins ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

I literally use a standard cooler/rod holder hitch mount with 11' rods sticking out of it on each side of the cooler. Travel 30-40 mins too. Been doing this for 8+ years. Not one problem. 

No problem until you stop for coffee and a rod takes a walk.  Good luck.

With todays technology, 2 pc. rods perform as well as any 1 pc. The additional flexibility  in storing or transporting adds to the plus side of 2 pc. Your determined to go 1 pc., you'll never feel the difference.  We have all been there, thats why you'll buy one, because you have to experience for yourself that after you try the 1 pc., you'll prefer 2 pc. becuase of the no difference factor and the added featues over the 1 pc. Good luck with it, let us all know in a few months how you feel about the 1 or 2 pc. stuff. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

10 hours ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Hahahaha I always go with a car full of people everything tied down and someone is always in the car lol. Thinking of getting a roof rack that locks tbh.

I feel ya here.  Family of four. Drive a Fit. Wife needs a walker, kids need all their stuff.  My fishing gear gets minimized.  

I use a 4 piece travel rod alot just because of that. 

Every joint or pinch point makes a rod ever so slightly less efficient. If you were hanging on a blank over a cliff, would you trust a virgin 1 piece blank to hold you or one with double foot guides and a ferrule? technology has improved greatly but the strongest most efficient would be a 1 piece blank with single foot guides. We choose otherwise for convenience and other factors. If it didn't matter we'd be fishing 4 piece rods with the old tank like multi footed guides. It's all a balance of needs.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)