Mojoboy

Snag and Drop Reel?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For those anglers who snag and drop often what reels are you guys using. I picked up a Trevala TVSC63MH at a good price and was looking to pair it with some reel. I don't think this is the ideal snag and drop rod but it should work for now? What should I be looking for in a reel? I'm not really trying to break the bank as I don't snag and drop too often but I've been looking at reels such as Avet Sx, Abu Ambassadeur, and Penn Squalls. 

Edited by Mojoboy

technically, we cannot snag and drop any longer with circle hooks now being mandatory for any time an angler is using natural bait when fishing for striped bass which I believe you would be targeting

Gonna make things awfully messy doing the swap meat. 

Blood, scales and slime all over the place.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the old days we used to run spinning rod setups with Shimano 4500 Baitrunners in the yak

....and 6500 from the shore .

The spinning rod set up was pretty cool for accuracy when you had to nail small bait balls.   

Edited by flylikabird

Squall 12 is my go to for snag switch and drop. I have it on a st. croix premier musky rod. Many uses other than snag and drop, it is also my go to black drum, catfish, and muskie setup.  Avets have very weak drag, used my Avet earlier this week and big blues and bass were pulling drag with too much ease.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:44 AM, odiemike86 said:

Squall 12 is my go to for snag switch and drop. I have it on a st. croix premier musky rod. Many uses other than snag and drop, it is also my go to black drum, catfish, and muskie setup.  Avets have very weak drag, used my Avet earlier this week and big blues and bass were pulling drag with too much ease.

Yea that makes sense. It shows the Avet has 14lbs of drag compared to 20lb on the Squall. Curious to know what lb braid do you have it rigged up with?

On 5/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, Mojoboy said:

Yea that makes sense. It shows the Avet has 14lbs of drag compared to 20lb on the Squall. Curious to know what lb braid do you have it rigged up with?

I have it rigged up with 50lb braid.  because of the various types of fishing i use it for.