Chiefy

Unexpected catch

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Chiefy said:

Battling a bad wind angle led to some short casts working a brackish cut. This bad boy came up and hit a herring pattern. Could not believe it. Absolute monster and a first for me. Had to grab a picture before letting go. Didn't want to fumble with a tape but marked a spot on my rod and measure later to about 24". Fatso.

fish.jpg

Congrats on a great catch!!  I would have been more courteous and invited him to dinner...

Edited by Roccus7

30 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Congrats on a great catch!!  I would have been more courteous and invited him to dinner...

30 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

It's the polite thing to do! Down here in NH we have signs declaring them as C&R currently due to some serious pollution issues (but I see OTW mag is going on about them)

32 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

I thought about it but could not bring myself to do it. Plus I didn't know if it would be a little funky or not.

8 mins ago, stormy monday said:

It's the polite thing to do! Down here in NH we have signs declaring them as C&R currently due to some serious pollution issues (but I see OTW mag is going on about them)

Obviously, didn't get that memo.  Carry on...

4 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Obviously, didn't get that memo.  Carry on...

Wish I hadn't either, I love the occasional sea run dinner. This is from the source of a lot of NH "sea run brown" fishery, the question is whether stuff clears up after they head out into the estuary/sea. I'm jealous of that one you got though!

berry.jpg

14 mins ago, pogy chaser said:

umm.... that may be a salmon, I think.  and shouldn't be inviting him to dinner...

I don't think so. Sea run brown i think. Thought about that after the fact but that would have made it an albino unicorn. Either way its back in the water. The location makes sense for sea run. I hit burst on my phone for pics and adipose fin is spotted and tail looks trout. Pics on line of big ones looked pretty silvered like this one.

looks like Atlantic Salmon to me. In which case, a true unicorn. Hard to tell.  I didn't realize how closely related Browns and Atlantics were. They are in same genus separate from all the other North American salmonids. Look at the spots, they are "x" on your fish, and the mouth doesn't run past the eyes. If you have more pics showing tail etc, that can help. Here's a video brown vs salmon at 5:38

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/what-s-the-catch-new-video-from-michigan-sea-grant-helps-anglers-identify-great-lakes-fish-msg20-okeefe20

16 mins ago, kennebecjones said:

looks like Atlantic Salmon to me. In which case, a true unicorn. Hard to tell.  I didn't realize how closely related Browns and Atlantics were. They are in same genus separate from all the other North American salmonids. Look at the spots, they are "x" on your fish, and the mouth doesn't run past the eyes. If you have more pics showing tail etc, that can help. Here's a video brown vs salmon at 5:38

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/what-s-the-catch-new-video-from-michigan-sea-grant-helps-anglers-identify-great-lakes-fish-msg20-okeefe20

Again I don't think so. The tail was completely flat and there are clear spots on the adipose. I did a search and there are even some archive pictures on this forum that look almost the same. The pic on my phone was a live pic so it shows the tail clear for about half second. I tried to grab a clear shot. I was all fired up and by myself and wanted to get it back in the water so didn't do a full crime scene csi. 

2.jpg

8 hours ago, Chiefy said:

Battling a bad wind angle led to some short casts working a brackish cut. This bad boy came up and hit a herring pattern. Could not believe it. Absolute monster and a first for me. Had to grab a picture before letting go. Didn't want to fumble with a tape but marked a spot on my rod and measure later to about 24". Fatso.

fish.jpg

It would be days before I came off the high from catching that - congrats