bronson

Black hole 8 ft Suzuki 11 ultralight review....

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Anyone? I can’t put hands on one. Does it feel whippy? Do you need to lay into it to set the hook ? Does it feel like a Salmon rod? Thinking of pairing one w a vanford 5000... does it have the ass to yank a 5lb fish over a rail? Thx for any insight 

You are not going to have many reviews as the rods are new.

I can answer the questions.

The rod fast/moderate and it is not noodle rod.

I advise not to lift 5 lb fish.

27 mins ago, ksong said:

You are not going to have many reviews as the rods are new.

I can answer the questions.

The rod fast/moderate and it is not noodle rod.

I advise not to lift 5 lb fish.

thx!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fished striper and bluefish using  8'6" Suzuki II Ultra Light rod today. Ww used live bunker and jigs. I lift 5-6 lb bluefish intentionally. The rod didn't break, but I din't recommend to lift 5 kb fish with the ultra light rod 

20210520_114818.jpg

20210520_103309 (1).jpg

Edited by ksong

On 5/18/2021 at 0:14 PM, bronson said:

Anyone? I can’t put hands on one. Does it feel whippy? Do you need to lay into it to set the hook ? Does it feel like a Salmon rod? Thinking of pairing one w a vanford 5000... does it have the ass to yank a 5lb fish over a rail? Thx for any insight 

i have the new 9' ultralight and the old 8', 9'6 and 10' suzukis. the new ultralight 9' is definitely whippier similar to the old 10' but not noodley. i would assume the new ultralight 8' is as well. where as the original 8' and 9'6  are a little bit stiffer.

1 hour ago, ksong said:

I fished striper and bluefish using  8'6" Suzuki II Ultra Light rod today. Ww used live bunker and jigs. I lift 5-6 lb bluefish intentionally. The rod didn't break, but I din't recommend to lift 5 kb fish with the ultra light rod 

20210520_114818.jpg

20210520_134927.jpg

Thx! I ordered from jignpop yesterday.... looking forward..... what reel size and test braid do you like on these rods? I’m planning to put my fuego lt 4000 on it w 20 lb power pro ..... thinking 15 lb may be a better fit but I have spool of 20 ... thx. Also have bulk spool of 10 lb power pro..... thx

2 hours ago, bronson said:

Thx! I ordered from jignpop yesterday.... looking forward..... what reel size and test braid do you like on these rods? I’m planning to put my fuego lt 4000 on it w 20 lb power pro ..... thinking 15 lb may be a better fit but I have spool of 20 ... thx. Also have bulk spool of 10 lb power pro..... thx

You will like the rod.  I could feel every vibration of live bunker. I lost big striper while I asked mate to fight for me as I wanted to take video. The rod definitely can catch big fish though  they look fragile.

I think the rod can handle 20 lb line.

Initial review ..... rod arrived at my door way faster than expected... stoked.  Definitely not noodley.    I primarily fish off a pier and the surrounding surf around it. Easily casts its weight range. I’ve cast small 1/4-3/8 buck tails and jigs - also tandem 1/2 oz jigs ... all casted well. A Hopkins shorty3/4 oz will easily cast out of sight off a pier. The rod is quite sensitive yet has plenty of power.   I’m impressed ... 

2F29109C-FE8C-424F-8E2D-8140CE24C26F.jpeg

2 hours ago, bronson said:

Initial review ..... rod arrived at my door way faster than expected... stoked.  Definitely not noodley.    I primarily fish off a pier and the surrounding surf around it. Easily casts its weight range. I’ve cast small 1/4-3/8 buck tails and jigs - also tandem 1/2 oz jigs ... all casted well. A Hopkins shorty3/4 oz will easily cast out of sight off a pier. The rod is quite sensitive yet has plenty of power.   I’m impressed ... 

2F29109C-FE8C-424F-8E2D-8140CE24C26F.jpeg

Thanks for your review.

I am confident anglers who use the Suzuki II Ultra Light rods will love the rods.  The light rod concept in Korea and Japan is somewhat different in the US. I am in Florida now. I try to test the rods for big snook, but water is very dirty and there are too many weed to work with plug.  

I will try the rods for coho salmon in Sept in Alaska.

General Suzuki UL question: a lot of my surf/shore fishing is opportunistic, I keep a rod and waders in the car to take advantage of brief windows of time. I'm usually throwing plugs in the 3/4-1 1/8 (e.g. SP 15F) range. Would the 1/4-1 1/2 or 3/8-2 models be better suited, or about the same in that range?

4 hours ago, ermghoti said:

General Suzuki UL question: a lot of my surf/shore fishing is opportunistic, I keep a rod and waders in the car to take advantage of brief windows of time. I'm usually throwing plugs in the 3/4-1 1/8 (e.g. SP 15F) range. Would the 1/4-1 1/2 or 3/8-2 models be better suited, or about the same in that range?

I got the 8ft 1/4 bc I routinely throw small jigs.....and am on a boat a lot.....note the 3/8 weigh a hair more if you care.  id get the 9'6 for distance....as trivial as it sounds the 8ft fits  in my camper shell and security is an issue at times....all preference and situation.