New Hobie - Mirage Lynx

Lots of big boxes ticked ... but ... minimal chines = little tracking at low to no speed ... will be a wet ride in even a little wind and anything larger than a ripple ... will be a bit of a mess (read hook magnet) with all the exposed cables/wires (rudder pull up/down, rudder controls, transducer, for power) ... will need to leash EVERYTHING ... surf launches will be almost impossible if conditions are not ideal

My opinion is that it’s a 1 trick pony and not for me ... atm

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Just now, atv223 said:

What in the design would make this bad for surf launching?

Surprised at the question. Not exactly going to cut through any oncoming waves, and what water does come over the top is going to place a rather lot of pressure on anything exposed on the deck (which is everything), will be off square (to the incoming waves) in the blink of an eye with easily predictable results ... do you consider it’ll be an easy surf launch?

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

I think it would be easy to surf launch if you could lay down on it and paddle out with your hands. I would guess you could fold down the seat? I assume it comes with a paddle too.

I can tell you from first hand experience an SUP is much slower then a SOT .  I guess the battery for the fish finder would go on the deck?   I guess this is replacing the inflatable 

they sell to fish off of.  I would be interested to see what an inflatable user thinks ? I have seen the inflatables in the bay but not in the ocean.

39 mins ago, Africaster said:

Surprised at the question. Not exactly going to cut through any oncoming waves, and what water does come over the top is going to place a rather lot of pressure on anything exposed on the deck (which is everything), will be off square (to the incoming waves) in the blink of an eye with easily predictable results ... do you consider it’ll be an easy surf launch?

It was an honest question, I wasn't suggesting it was going to be good, I just wanted to understand the "why" behind the design.  That all makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.

They point out that it's fish finder ready, but don't show any of them with a fishfinder installed on the water.  Foam core with fiberglass and epoxy shell and plastic skin - no where to store a battery for the fishfinder.  

I don't know, it might be good for a family with a bay house to tool around the back bays, but I wouldn't buy it for myself as a fishing platform.  

C&R

I like where they are going with a non-inflatable lightweight option, but the lack of below deck storage for wiring, cart, FF battery, etc., is sort of a deal breaker for me. Looks like a great platform to get the family out on the water since you can stack them on the roof, but it's at least $1000 more than I'd want to spend just for that. I wonder how it compares to the Passport 10.5, besides having the 180 drive. 

Hobie could put out anything right now and it would sell.  I guess this is good for cruising around protected waters.  But all I can picture fishing from this is pliers, tackle, basically everything falling overboard

I almost pulled the trigger with a deposit as soon as I saw it, but now I'm hoping for another season from my i11s. Need to demo, but dealers are not demoing the Lynx bc they're only getting a handful to sell.

On paper it's everything I'd want in a hard shell platform - light easy storage steering on either side, and I really enjoy the magic carpet ride experience of sitting high on a flat board lol. 

I like it. I think it would be great for freshwater fishing. I also think it would be good for the bay. May not be good for surf launches for reasons already mentioned but one yak can’t be good at everything. Ideal for the minimalist who doesn’t need to bring all the fishing equipment they own out on the kayak with them.

Edited by Flip n Dip