Stopsign32v

Krocodile spoons: Silver/red, Silver/blue, Silver/green....When do you use?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just curious if experienced surf throwers could tell me which times do you use which colors? Is there a particular one that is the go to vs the others?

F0FF9CD5-6BD2-4606-8597-CDDB41D12BB7.png

@@_1003-058-153_800.jpg

c949b969-57ac-471c-ac7d-5900b406b73e_1.0

one year we had some bait showed up in the surf and when we casted some tins people were surprised when they landed what they hooked up . fishermen with crocodile's hooked up more salmon on the beach.

6 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

I guess I don't get it?

What's the "Never" mean?

It means they're never used:howdy:

It means like jimmy z mentioned,  never had one in over 40 years of fishing.

I found one on the beach once that looks like the one below, and caught an amazing weak fish on it. The only Crocodile I have ever used is in chrome, I only through metal if its to windy out.  I have only used them in salt water in the northeast.  

DROCK 1.jpg

If you asked from the standpoint of salmon fishing, I have no clue. From the standpoint of surf fishing for stripers, admittedly, I don’t fish them much but etched in my mind is a weakfish blitz in the early 90’s at the west haven sand bar in CT where a couple of guys put a clinic on with the 1 1/4 oz kroc. These were all very decent fish pushing low teens too. I stood buy these guys for what seemed like an eternity changing from kastmasters to hopkins and never got a whiff.  A real trip down memory lane! This was the last big showing of large WF I witnessed. 

I have on and off seen krocs take some fish here and there over the years. I can never remember any of these incidents where the spoon had any color. Always plain jane chrome and a plain treble. 
The first mylar taped tin I ever had luck with was the acme needle eel in green. That green mylar taped hunk of slender metal was a killer for a number of years for me. At least in my local waters. The deadly dick is probably the most widely used mylar taped tin I have seen in use over my years. If memory serves me correct, blue was the hot item in the Cape for a time. For  me if I was chucking a kroc it would be plain, Second choice I would probably try green at least. 
not sure if any of this is helpful but fun to reminisce.