SnookFly

KR Line Tender Stripping Basket

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Back in 2019, HL (Herb) did a nice review of the KR Line Tender Stripping Basket. The idea of a "soft" line stripping basket is appealing to me after occasionally getting knuckles rapped on the edge of a hard basket. Also like the idea of being able to bend over and kneel down to release a fish.  Anyone else used these?  Opinions pro and con appreciated.

Herb - after two years of use are you still happy with it?  Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Any Stripping Basket with a mesh bottom or any type of bottom with a bunch of holes in it is useless in salt water, especially if you like to wade and here's why:

When you go to shoot your line if your line is inside the flooded basket, then it is laying in & under the water so shooting is greatly inhibited. God forbid if you have an intermediate sinking running line, which literally would be underwater while you are trying to shoot it. Game over. 

Try throwing a bunch of floating line laying on the water's surface and then casting and shooting. It's the same principle. 

These types of soft stripping baskets are intended to be packable line management solutions. They can be useful for boat fishing. Rather than having your line laying all over the deck of a boat it would be an advantage to have it in a small basket in front of you. 

The closer the line is to the shooting guide the less energy it's going to take for the airborne head to reach its target at maximum speed.

Even if I was strictly a boat fisherman I still wouldn't want a basket like this because it lacks cones and depth. 

Also these types of baskets are tangle magnets. By that I mean there's no cones on the inside to keep wads of wine somewhat separated. They also aren't very deep which kind of sucks in line easily spills out over the sides.

A huge benefit to a hard stripping basket with an ergonomic backside, no holes, adequate depth and some cones is that you can stand in water from your thighs to your waist and it will create a water free pocket where you can put the line as you are retrieving and then, once your head is arialized you can let it rip with no resistance & minimal tangles. 

If you are having problems bumping into a hard stripping basket then it may be too large? Try something ergonomic and maybe a little smaller but still deep enough & with cones. I've never had a single problem such as you are describing and I've been using the same stripping basket for over 20 years. 

A lot of guys make their own stripping baskets and unfortunately they aren't ergonomic and I see a lot of DIY photos where the basket has holes in the bottom of it. Not a great idea for a surfcaster.

Edited by CaryGreene

Thanks for the info - all good points.  Will use this basket, if I buy it, for standing ankle/knee deep at edge of surf, walking shoreline of freshwater ponds, sometimes in my boat if it's windy.  Have other "no holes" baskets for deep wading. Hoping to hear from some SOLers who have actually used this one as to comfort, durability, overall quality and fishability - stuff like that. 

Unless, of course you like holes in your shooting basket so the water drains out in the surf. Never had a problem shooting line from a water filled basket, which mine does when I wade deep. 

Spey fishermen have been casting line off the surface of the water for a long time, no issues. 

You might look at the “Take” brand of stripping baskets if you are looking for something flexible and non hard or rigid.

SF

Snook,

The reason I bought the KR basket is because, at 83, my balance is not what it used to be.

I wanted a basket that will not offer ANY resistance to me getting back up from a stumble.

many years ago I also owned a mesh basket that did result in snarled lines.

That is not the case with the KR.  As shipped with the inserts it keeps the line organized.

You probably remember, I made some modifications to the basket:

I modified the spikes by cutting them in half and Aquasealing the tips in the base of the line tender.

I cut the "horns" off the base of the line tender and instead of laying them inside the basket - I mounted them underneath the basket and l]hold them in place with thin shockcord - with the spikes extending up through the mesh.

All this is in my original thread.

What may not be there is that I made the basket able to hold its shape better by "sewing" a stiffener into the front of the basket and a stiffener into the pocket at your belly.

I am in RI now for 5 months and that it the only basket I have with me.  My 3 LineKurv's are home in FL.  The LineKurv is my 2'nd fav basket.

If you don't have the stomach for all my modifications - I would still get it.

Herb

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, Stonefish said:

You might look at the “Take” brand of stripping baskets if you are looking for something flexible and non hard or rigid.

SF

Yes, I would rate the Take as a very versatile Stripping Basket, but a little Pricey at $109 suggested retail price. It's fully crushable, has the cones & the non-mesh bottom and it has a great belt & a rod holder. Perfect design. Far better than the KR Line Tender with the mesh bottom. The Take basket is also UV resistant & it handles glaring, hot, sunny days like a champ. If you fell on this basket it would likely cushion your landing. 

60a27eda2194b_Screenshot2021-05-1710_31_38AM.png.df90dcf6349c58cae9766c035cf17271.png

Here's a video of it in action: 

Edited by CaryGreene

SF and CG - The Take stripping basket looks pretty good, like the Linecurve but flexible.  Is it sold in USA or just order direct from Latvia?  Have either of you used the Take Basket?  Thanks.

Herb - I quick skimmed your original thread last night, will now give it a more careful read and pay attention to your modifications.  So after two years I assume it is in decent shape and you are still very happy with it?  Pete 

5 mins ago, SnookFly said:

SF and CG - The Take stripping basket looks pretty good, like the Linecurve but flexible.  Is it sold in USA or just order direct from Latvia?  Have either of you used the Take Basket?  Thanks.

My local shop in the Seattle area, The Avid Angler sells them. 
There are likely shops that are closer to you that carry them.

I’ve used one and liked it.

SF

On 17/05/2021 at 1:49 PM, Oakman said:

Unless, of course you like holes in your shooting basket so the water drains out in the surf. Never had a problem shooting line from a water filled basket, which mine does when I wade deep. 

Spey fishermen have been casting line off the surface of the water for a long time, no issues. 

Oakie,

There never seems enough time for the water to drain before another wave fills it up lol. So I don’t bother with holes. Never forget the laughter I shared  with Dougie debating holes or no holes when fishing a north side fast flowing flat with both our line trays under the water.

Mikey

Herb - pix on HMH website show a logo embroidered on the basket that says KR Line Tender by HMH.  Somewhere while searching for info I came across an announcement that said HMH Line Tender was discontinued (oh,oh!).  Feather-Craft website shows the same pix as the HMH web, so I'm thinking of buying thru them.  I'm slightly confused and will make calls today to see what's up.  Bass Pro also has something similar as a White River product but with no attaching loops. I've had good stuff and bad from them so that can be a gamble.  I'd prefer the original. 

I've used the tropical Take Stripping Basket in the Caribbean and Australia. I like it and it certainly is better than not having one when walking the flats. Its super light and packs easily.

I would still use the Orvis one for the Cape and my normal fishing but for tropical foreign trips it works well.