Sparky

State Officials Write To Deal Asking To Rethink Beach Parking

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

State Officials Write To Deal Asking To Rethink Beach Parking

Representatives from the 11th District have asked Deal officials to reconsider an ordinance to restrict beachfront public parking.

Brian Harris, Patch Staff

Posted Fri, May 14, 2021 at 3:03 pm ET|Updated Fri, May 14, 2021 at 4:04 pm ET

ASBURY PARK – In response to Deal's proposed ordinance to restrict public parking for only beachfront homeowners, State Senator Vin Gopal along with Assembly members Eric Houghtaling and Joann Downey wrote a letter Thursday to Deal's mayor, Sam Cohen, urging him and the borough's Board of Commissioners to reconsider the proposed ordinance.

"We are writing to urge you and the Deal Board of Commissioners to reconsider the borough's proposed ordinance restricting public parking to one side of five borough streets to provide exclusive parking privileges for beachfront homeowners," the letter states.

"This policy would violate the public's right to have access to the beaches in favor of making half the parking on those streets exclusive to a handful of private oceanfront homeowners."

The letter, which was also sent to Stephen R. Carasia, Deal's borough clerk and administrator, and Acting DEP Commissioner Shawn M. LaTourette, mentions that the public's right to beach access has been supported by the courts and by the State Legislature.

"The courts have upheld the public's rights under the public trust doctrine to use and enjoy the State's tidal waters and adjacent shorelines," the letter says.

"Every taxpayer in New Jersey contributes to major beach protection projects such as the beach replenishment conducted on an ongoing basis. This work is performed to preserve the beaches so everyone can enjoy them."

The letter finishes by mentioning that the town has brought these types of ordinances to the table in the past and ended up having to withdraw them.

"The Deal Board of Commissioners has withdrawn similar proposed ordinances that would have restricted public access to the beaches along the oceanfront several times over the past five or six years," the letter states.

"We urge you and the Board of Commissioners to reassess this ordinance and not move forward with any plan that restricts public access and would make it more difficult for all the residents of the State of New Jersey to access and enjoy beaches within the borough."

That town is absolutely effing relentless. Thank you all for your diligence because they will never, ever stop trying to create their own private beachfront township.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great news thanks sudsy.  .funny how it took an election year just before the primaries for the state officials to finally get involved...where were they 3 years ago when deal held all those publically unadvertised secret meetings that made the not ready for prime time news.  A feather for their political caps..as soon as Jan comes around get ready for some rescinds.

Edited by Baccigalup

19 hours ago, daves745t said:

That town is absolutely effing relentless. Thank you all for your diligence because they will never, ever stop trying to create their own private beachfront township.

right? seems like they try and pull this crap every other year thinking maybe noone will notice this time.

3 hours ago, SurfMonster said:

While we are here ..try getting on jenkinsons sand after 5 ...cant...not even fisherman..and the cops back them up

After 5pm or 5am? Wrong either way just curious.

15 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Jenk's has always puzzled me.  Don't we have access up to the high tide line? 

I'm not sure about Jenks.  I know Donovans literally owns the beach right down to the water.  If you were to fish right in front of that tiki bar then you are technically trespassing and assuming its right in the middle of a smoking hot busy beach day- someone will probably ask you to leave the area.  I'm pretty sure there are other beach clubs like that, especially common in a town like sea bright.  I would never set up 5 poles and a bucket in front of Jenks (or Donovans for that matter) so doesn't affect me either way- just sayin'- laws aren't consistent across the coastline.

3 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I'm not sure about Jenks.  I know Donovans literally owns the beach right down to the water.  If you were to fish right in front of that tiki bar then you are technically trespassing

I always understood that the public had the right of access from the water to high tide water mark, theoretically, you would walk from Sea Bright, through Donovans, to Monmouth Beach, and not "violate" any trespass provided your feet stayed in wet sand.

Doesn't affect me directly either, but was something that's perplexed me since seeing the goons at Jenks clear the beach one night at closing.  I recall posting in the main at the time.  Was many years ago.