jjdbike

Falls, injuries or close calls fishing a jetty?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I’ve fished jetties for 20- 25 years. I’ve had my share of slips, crashes, & close calls.

How about you folks, how, when etch. 

JD

24 years ago I was fishing off the rocks at the sea wall in Anglesea. It was just about dark and I hooked into my first ever weakfish. I was at the top of the rocks and pulled the fish in to the bottom of the rocks. I was so excited and I took one step and boom I slid right down. Thankfully I was only 20 and strong enough to catch myself with my arms but the rod popped up and fell back as I went down and I watched my keeper weakie pop the hook and flap itself right back into the water. I was so pissed but the sting of the salt water on all my fresh new scrapes on my leg and side quickly made me get over it.  Last time I ever wore flat soled sneakers on the rocks. Lesson learned 

20 years ago hooked the biggest bass of my life on a darter from a rock pile next to the old Highlands Bridge; fish moved quickly to try to get leverage on pilings, I moved quickly to try to flank her and spiked myself with my korkers, fell completely in the Shrews in a ripping incoming tide in the dark, if i did not have a wading belt i would be dead, just barely able to swim before being pulled under the bridge where i would be dead Wife would not let me fish the rocks alone at night after for a long time  after that 

7 hours ago, Mmart said:

24 years ago I was fishing off the rocks at the sea wall in Anglesea. It was just about dark and I hooked into my first ever weakfish. I was at the top of the rocks and pulled the fish in to the bottom of the rocks. I was so excited and I took one step and boom I slid right down. Thankfully I was only 20 and strong enough to catch myself with my arms but the rod popped up and fell back as I went down and I watched my keeper weakie pop the hook and flap itself right back into the water. I was so pissed but the sting of the salt water on all my fresh new scrapes on my leg and side quickly made me get over it.  Last time I ever wore flat soled sneakers on the rocks. Lesson learned 

Och,

Yup, age matters.

6 hours ago, suntzu said:

20 years ago hooked the biggest bass of my life on a darter from a rock pile next to the old Highlands Bridge; fish moved quickly to try to get leverage on pilings, I moved quickly to try to flank her and spiked myself with my korkers, fell completely in the Shrews in a ripping incoming tide in the dark, if i did not have a wading belt i would be dead, just barely able to swim before being pulled under the bridge where i would be dead Wife would not let me fish the rocks alone at night after for a long time  after that 

OMG, that's pretty terrifying.

I've fallen, slipped, been knocked down by waves, raced in ahead of incoming tide, had to wade through holes that filled in by incoming tide, lost a Korker half way out and had to work my way back in relying on one foot. I've learned a lot. 

I've learned to take it slow, pick my steps carefully, and not to get too excited or panicked. It had made all the difference up till now. I carry a long metal handled gaff and use it as a walking stick. I always use the buddy system and am never out there alone. Always have a cell phone. Thank God up till now I've sustained no real injuries.

This past weekend, I was on a jetty. I started to slide down a boulder that was at a 45 degree angle. I wasn't worried because there was another vertical rock at the bottom that I knew would stop me. It happened slowly and there was no worry or panic. I slid on my butt. The unexpected problem occurred when my foot came in contact with the vertical boulder at the bottom. Instead of hitting it w/ the soul of my boot, my foot somehow bent under. I over plantar flexed. I felt and heard something snap. Of course denial and adrenalin kicked in and I told myself I was fine, even though I could tell I was less stable. Out of caution I made my way back in (fishing as I went). The boot helped hold things together, stabilize me and compress and limit inflammation. As I got back to the buggy, a rotated my ankle and felt crunching. Went to ER and sure enough my fibula is broken on several places. 

It could have happened getting into or out of truck, turning foot off a curb, slipping on ice or breaking up a fight at school. I'm taking it and stride and not too upset about it. In the whole scope of things, it could have been much worse and I have been lucky so far. Accidents happen.

After healing and rehab, I'll be out there again. Of course I'll be even more cautious (if that's even possible).

I am always amazed at the people who jump from rock to rock all the way to the tip as if they were in an obstacle course race. They worry me. 

Be careful out there, anything can happen.  

Best regards!

JD

In my younger days I had many occasions when I would be far out on a bar with incoming and the fishing would be good and I would keep telling myself “15 minutes and you have to get out of here” which would become an hour and a half & the waders would come off for an icy swim through the trough that would them be over my head

Scariest moment ever for me was wading out on a bar at North Beach, 3:00am all by myself outgoing In my peripheral vision I see a long thick object come racing behind me and disappear, a couple of sets later its is racing behind me again the other way, now I am sure its a shark. Couple of sets later its coming right at me and knocks me off my feet - I jump up and am moving so fast I am Jesus walking on water. I get on shore turn my headlamp on 

its a 6 foot piece of piling 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Walking the rounded boulders on the Cuttyhunk beaches has left me with a few kneecap permascars.  I used to bounce better in the old days, not so much in the golden years.  Mostly work off the boat these days, or sandy beaches and piers now that I've retired from the slippery granite.

Edited by Cuttyhunker

I’ve been fishing a jetty and wound up swimming before I knew what was happening a couple times.  I knew the surf was big, but thought it was predictable after an hour or so.  Tell that the the one giant wave that sneaks up on ya during a good bite while you’re distracted 

Lots of stories about the manasquan dolosse.Mostly tourists with sneakers but a few fishermen. One experienced one was coming off the jetty when I was going out and he was all bloody. He fell between the rocks right before his way onto the concrete pad at night.Another one was fishing midway to the water out front with sneakers when he fell.It was funny watching it but he bounced from dolos to dolos like a pinball game.It was like in slow motion.A tourist with flip flops on the northeast side midway out was exploring when he went down getting scraped up and losing his glasses.This to me could have been real bad. I always worried about falling in between the dolosse and getting trapped where nobody would even know you were there.Lucky for me I only was knocked back by a wave trying to gaff a weakfish and was pushed right in the crotch of a dolos like I was sitting on a throne.

Posted (edited) · Report post

27 mins ago, jetty eddy said:

Lots of stories about the manasquan dolosse.Mostly tourists with sneakers but a few fishermen. One experienced one was coming off the jetty when I was going out and he was all bloody. He fell between the rocks right before his way onto the concrete pad at night.Another one was fishing midway to the water out front with sneakers when he fell.It was funny watching it but he bounced from dolos to dolos like a pinball game.It was like in slow motion.A tourist with flip flops on the northeast side midway out was exploring when he went down getting scraped up and losing his glasses.This to me could have been real bad. I always worried about falling in between the dolosse and getting trapped where nobody would even know you were there.Lucky for me I only was knocked back by a wave trying to gaff a weakfish and was pushed right in the crotch of a dolos like I was sitting on a throne.

These things?

manasquan.jpg

Nasty. There was a thread about this jetty a couple of years ago...

Edited by bdowning

42 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

U boys ever wear PFD's...........

I’ve contemplated one that is really low profile and inflates automatically with those little canisters.  The bulk of a pfd you’d wear on a boat is an issue 

Can't tell you the number of times I have had to warn or walk tourists back off of the rocks with their kids when they decided walking out would be.... fun....

Took a slide/dive on my local jetty early one morning when I took a long step and the back of my korker hit the green slime instead of the bottom... ended up wedged upside down between two big rocks.  Broke my rod, bruised and banged up all over... but if the rocks didn't stop me from my shoulders getting wedged I was toast..

Lost one korker about 30 yds out at Point Judith in a pretty strong current... that was a scary walk where I had to use a custom rod as a walking stick to stay upright... grabbed onto alot of grass covered rocks on the way in.. those round slippery rocks on the bottom there are about as bad as it gets I think...

Not jetties, but.....Got caught waiting a little too long out on the Brewster Flats with partner Craig who is a few inches shorter than me.... he was floating in his waders holding onto my wading jacket hood as we struggled to get back to where we both could stand up on solid ground.... and then there was the time I got turned around and lost in the fog on the flats in Monomoy with the tide coming up... that was some scary chit...

I fell this weekend. Not hard but it’s never an easy fall. I was alone and at the tip of the jetty- could’ve been ugly. I tripped on my korkers strap when it came loose. I’m going to cut the straps down to size. 

It amazes me to see idiots with their kids on their shoulders on the rocks. When you fall, it’s fast. Those kids could die. 

26 mins ago, BobBass said:

I fell this weekend. Not hard but it’s never an easy fall. I was alone and at the tip of the jetty- could’ve been ugly. I tripped on my korkers strap when it came loose. I’m going to cut the straps down to size. 

It amazes me to see idiots with their kids on their shoulders on the rocks. When you fall, it’s fast. Those kids could die. 

Yeah, I won’t even take the ones who can fend for themselves. 

I’m hitting the surf & jetty scene soon - this week fingers crossed. Wife just asked if I’m taking the oldest who’s almost 11. I said “nope.” There’s a father son sand spike bait trip in his near future but I’m not getting him into the colder water May nighttime surf and I’m definitely not putting him out on the rocks. 

6 mins ago, EricDice said:

Yeah, I won’t even take the ones who can fend for themselves. 

I’m hitting the surf & jetty scene soon - this week fingers crossed. Wife just asked if I’m taking the oldest who’s almost 11. I said “nope.” There’s a father son sand spike bait trip in his near future but I’m not getting him into the colder water May nighttime surf and I’m definitely not putting him out on the rocks. 

I was on the rocks at 10 in the dark but my dad was young and didn’t think about it too hard haha. 
I wouldn’t hit the wet rocks with my son until he’s older. There are easier sandy inlets in NJ for him to try first