East Tide

Trolling Rod Holder Placement

4 posts in this topic

Hi all. 

Yesterday was my first day with a pair of YakAttack Omegas (track mount) in my Old Town 120 PDL. What angle/ placement do you set the rods in? I am using a pair of Tackle Industries musky rods (convench) or a pair of Tsunami Travel Kayak rods (spinning) and both have fairly long butt sections. Didn't spend a ton of time on it but couldn't find a sweet spot. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

My pedal and paddle yaks are set up like this. No interference with paddling or reentry. 
  For kayak use, handles longer than 12-13” get the hacksaw.

B2D8006B-8B2A-4DB3-BDE1-29E87FCA3AB8.jpeg

Edited by cheech
Pic

@cheech I think you're more flexible than some of us, I'd have a hard time reaching a rod a foot beyond my footpegs without getting my ass out of the seat!

Mine are angled towards the back and are within arms reach. 

I also leash them. Ive lost rods and holders by not paying attention and have the line snag a rock, or seaweed and then off goes the rod holder and setup. Ive also almost lost a setup getting a big hit one a trolling line. 

I really try not to put an actively used rod in them. I have little confidence of that metal piece that locks into an H rail. They have popped right out of them with not too much force. Im debating getting the rod holders that wrap around the H rail.