I have the blues

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Pretty good indeed.

They're hitting spoons.

From today.

20210515_151858.jpg

WE often used can openers to catch them when they were fussy It shows what a little imagination end experimentation will do Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

9 hours ago, Pierogi Smash said:

I haven't even seen one in 4 years.  I hope that changes quickly this season.

There's a decent run going on in RI right now but in recent years there’s been a pattern of a nice Spring run and then they get real sparse for most of the season. 

23 mins ago, mikez2 said:

There's a decent run going on in RI right now but in recent years there’s been a pattern of a nice Spring run and then they get real sparse for most of the season. 

For me during the past few years, my first bluefish of the season wouldn't happen until the smaller rat size blues (the ones that are one step up from snappers) moved in just as bonito/albie season would kick in...I've had those things steal so many epoxy jigs or chop  an albie snax in half...I'm normally ok with catching them, but not at that time of the year (or at least not during a hot albie bite)

But prior to that, I used to have pretty good luck with decent to large size blues at any of the usual southside of the cape locations during the spring run, then again during the later fall (usually timed when the albie fishing was just starting to slow down)...Not sure if its the lack of squid that they chased or lack of fish

Just now, albacized said:

For me during the past few years, my first bluefish of the season wouldn't happen until the smaller rat size blues (the ones that are one step up from snappers) moved in just as bonito/albie season would kick in...I've had those things steal so many epoxy jigs or chop  an albie snax in half...I'm normally ok with catching them, but not at that time of the year (or at least not during a hot albie bite)

But prior to that, I used to have pretty good luck with decent to large size blues at any of the usual southside of the cape locations during the spring run, then again during the later fall (usually timed when the albie fishing was just starting to slow down)...Not sure if its the lack of squid that they chased or lack of fish

We have a tradition of hitting the RI spring bluefish run every year. It used to be Father's day. Last year it was late May. This year is the earliest we've had them in numbers.

Historically there have been some bigger fish in Spring but more recently they tended to be rat sized.

There were some decent sized ones this year.

We also observed a tiny striper float by missing its back half. We saw the same thing last year. 

As much as I enjoy blues and hope their numbers improve, let's hope come September they aren't packed in the same places as they were this weekend. That'd get pretty expensive in albie jigs.

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

We have a tradition of hitting the RI spring bluefish run every year. It used to be Father's day. Last year it was late May. This year is the earliest we've had them in numbers.

Historically there have been some bigger fish in Spring but more recently they tended to be rat sized.

There were some decent sized ones this year.

We also observed a tiny striper float by missing its back half. We saw the same thing last year. 

As much as I enjoy blues and hope their numbers improve, let's hope come September they aren't packed in the same places as they were this weekend. That'd get pretty expensive in albie jigs.

That's good to hear - I took days off this week. May take a day to explore SoCo...but leaving the weekend to the crowds (heard a couple of horror stories regarding the crowds - the story you relayed in the RI forum being one of them)