Ted Pietz

Tin ID

5 posts in this topic

These two tins are marked BW with an anchor between the letters. The 1 1/2 ounce is 3 1/2 inches and the long skinny one is 5 inches. Going by the way they glow I think they are 100% tin   Just wondering who BW is? Any info is interesting.

Thanks,

Ted

100_8309.JPG

100_8310.JPG

100_8311.JPG

100_8312.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

B&W were readily available in the mid 70's to me in NY in a tin/lead/chrome, some with a blued head variety although I suspect the originals were all tin. There were 4 models available and the cost was $1 per tin sans hooks. I forget the actual name associated with B&W, as the originals were before my time, hopefully someone else will remember.

Edited by SC

Steve,

I like fishing with tins especially in a heavy surf before the water gets murked up. they cast well into a wind that is right in your puss. I've caught fish on them so I'm confident in them.  That said I only have confidence in real tin. These two glow like 100% tin. My other thread has chrome plated white metal and you can see the difference right away. Tins have been around since the beginning and still have a place in our sport. Scan_20191104.png.8ada46ddba4dfe54aedc28241d1fc571.png

The best method, by far, that I have ever seen to shine real tins was to use a bulb shaped glass bar stirrer (the type that were popular in the 60's) Give it a try if you're a "tin" fan

Posted (edited) · Report post

Steve,

Ha!! Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I heard that before. You have great recall Steve. 

I do like tins...a lot! I have Charlie Graves and J & J plus some early Pasquale. I am sure there are others. The B & W look early to me.  I cleaned up the  ones in the picture above but if you look close there is still some of the heavy black patina still present. I'm thinking it took some time for that black to develop on the tin. I think they were made for sandy bottom because I lost one almost immediately in the rocks, lesson learned many moons ago.

Later,

Ted

Edited by Ted Pietz
spelling