nchit

NOOBIE FLY FISHERMAN

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I am sure this has already been asked so I apologize in advanced 

Just recently got into fly fishing and have started to finally produce 

Was looking for suggestions/recommendations for a decent 5WT fly rod for local ponds lakes and eventually something I could attempt to use for trout in streams and rivers eventually 

Currently using a loaner outfit a very good friend is letting me borrow and I want to get my own 

TIA 

I use a rod company called maxcatch.  I have not used their freshwater outfits but I love their saltwater predator rods. They are inexpensive but quality.  However their fly lines are not great.  I would suggest buying a quality line.   

Best bang for your buck is a used rod. There are loads out there from people who mistakenly thought money would make them a better caster. Take advantage :rav:

Well much depends on your budget. If it’s a hundred bucks then your a bit limited- if 400 then it’s a different world. 
you also need to factor a reel and fly line. Of the two, spend the money for a good fly line-rio, Orvis , cortlland etc. reels for freshwater are not all that important. I still use a pfluger 1498 reel for salt water stripers on one of my older rods- reel works just fine. 

anyway, look for used sage/g loomis/ Orvis /Douglas/ etc high end rods. They are all good- Orvis has an entry level rod, I don’t remember name but a friend uses it and I’ve casted it and it’s just a fine rod and a value at the price. Lesser but still very fine rods by Redington or Cortland are also a an option- set a budget for whole rig and get best rod in that price point. Don’t go cheap, fly fishing is addictive and 5 years from now you won’t even remember what you paid but you will remember the trout/bass/pan fish caught. 

good luck. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for all of the replies guys my very good friend has me all squared away.
I traded a few plugs for the reel and my friend that gave me the loaner was so generous to give me this gloomis for some labor done around the house while he’s  still recouping from his surgery. 

Still can’t believe he gave me the rod!!!

I guess he just sees how bad I’ve been bitten by the fly

C5512558-3A98-4789-9DE6-641F6D9EBBE4.jpeg

A3A78C8A-1484-4082-9BDD-E9BEF9C0D009.jpeg

Edited by nchit

Welcome to your latest addiction. You didn't ask for fly recommendations but my desert-island fly is the old faithful: woolly bugger. It's easy to learn to tie, catches any fish, and you work it in a river or lake or ocean just like a spinner. 

12 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Welcome to your latest addiction. You didn't ask for fly recommendations but my desert-island fly is the old faithful: woolly bugger. It's easy to learn to tie, catches any fish, and you work it in a river or lake or ocean just like a spinner. 

I am more than willing to learn anything and everything I can any help is welcomed 

That's great, 5-6 wts. work fine on schoolies up to 28", I use a 9.6" 5-6 wt.   Don't forget top water poppers in estuaries and tidal waters.

006.JPG

26 mins ago, RAW said:

That's great, 5-6 wts. work fine on schoolies up to 28", I use a 9.6" 5-6 wt.   Don't forget top water poppers in estuaries and tidal waters.

006.JPG

Beautiful fish! 

I'm still concentrating on building confidence in the sweetwater currently. 

Saltwater is what I intend on getting into once I feel like I'm ready. I probably should go take some lessons but for now its all trial and error and learning from my mistakes      

You really do not need  lessons, practice your casting, need only be 30-35'. Go to an inlet, outflow, harbor, anything that gets bait.That fish was only 21" but as fat as fat can be.  Learning is part of the fun.

2 hours ago, RAW said:

You really do not need  lessons, practice your casting, need only be 30-35'. Go to an inlet, outflow, harbor, anything that gets bait.That fish was only 21" but as fat as fat can be.  Learning is part of the fun.

For me its never been about the size of the fish to appreciate the fish I catch

I'm not into self promotion or pissing matches