tristate

Not inline circle hooks

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What do we do with hooks that are  not inline circle hooks when fishing bait for Stripers. I don’t fish bait often but have a dozen or so offset hooks. Thinking of just recycling them. I hate waste.

3 mins ago, unclebunker said:

Tie some feathers or bucktail on 'em and use 'em fer the tail hook on your plugs.

This^

or for bluefish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, unclebunker said:

Tie some feathers or bucktail on 'em and use 'em fer the tail hook on your plugs.

The eyes on the hook aren't inline which means the hook point would ride sideways if you used them as a tail hook. One would have to use two split rings to make that work. Interesting idea though!

Most of my offset circle hooks are size ten and nine, feel sad that I'll probably have to throw them away.

Edited by TroutGhost

2 hours ago, Saltydogfishing said:

I did this to them. 68C3A8F4-7E2C-4710-B3C5-5A4263645667.jpeg.ce490ce8e072a6dd6f39269c513b5104.jpeg

Well done. Overachiever Lisa Simpson type here. ;-)

What size?  Other species you can use them for.  

If you happen to catch a striper, you'd just have to release it. 

I fish for trophy sea robins alot.  They can take a pretty big hook and chunk. :hooked:

Plus they're pretty tasty. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

22 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

What size?  Other species you can use them for.  

If you happen to catch a striper, you'd just have to release it. 

I fish for trophy sea robins alot.  They can take a pretty big hook and chunk. :hooked:

Plus they're pretty tasty. 

Trophy sea robins? Size queen “ova heah”

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

Trophy sea robins? Size queen “ova heah”

:howdy:

I was being a bit sarcastic, but I do keep large sea robins. They're 2/3rds head anyways..

They seem to be the only thing in ample supply here in Western LI sound.  

5 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

:howdy:

I was being a bit sarcastic, but I do keep large sea robins. They're 2/3rds head anyways..

They seem to be the only thing in ample supply here in Western LI sound.  

I figured. I would keep em too. Good eats I hear and the bellies make great fluke bait. 

We just get the little ones in the bay areas of SJ - except probably in the bigger bays like Great Bay, Delaware bay and Barnegat Bay. I don’t fish those but I imagine the sea robins are bigger to go along with bigger water. 

I've gotten some that were a few pounds. Maybe 20in +/-    i just read a article that the searobin world/state record is quite low because most people toss em.  Same with some skates and rays.  

Big ones will take a 1oz tin and it keeps the small ones out.   They fight good on lighter tackle, and if they're a bycatch of my flukin I'm good with it.  

But yeah, they're fantastic eating.  Reminds me of a BSB. Last summer I kept them whole and headless.  Put them in a grilling basket them roasted over hardwood coals.  Pulled off the skin, flaked the meat off the racks, mixed in diced tomato, avocado, teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Made a asian style cole slaw and did tacos. 

Eta.  Sorry for the drift!

Edited by PSegnatelli

5 hours ago, EricDice said:

Good eats I hear and the bellies make great fluke bait. 

yes and yes. The skin makes the fluke strips very durable and they do make rather good table fare.