drmevo

Is the Daiwa BG still king in the ~$100 category?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

My BG 3000 is starting to get a bit geary after a few years. It doesn't owe me anything - it's been submerged for half an hour, been taken apart and put back together a few times and fished in all sort of ways it's not designed for. It still works fine but I think one of the bearings might be going as well so I'm thinking of just replacing it with another one. Is there anything else to check out in the $100 range? Or something that is really that much better for say $150? I mostly kayak fish, but (other than the one extended submersion) usually can avoid too many splashes or dunking. Thanks!

I was looking too and I ended up with a penn battle III DX. brass gears, $119.00? Will hopefully put it to use next weekend. I got mine to replace the shimano nasci 4000 I destroyed. 

It will be my paddleboard reel so when it gets splashed or dunked when I fall off LOL it will be easier to service. 

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Probably the top and bottom pinion bearings. Those are cheap.  Get the measurement and order off ebay.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. If the gears are fine, AR still fine, then replace the three main bearings. Pinion 2, handle side 1. But.... I would do that and then get another reel too. ;-)

6 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

I was looking too and I ended up with a penn battle III DX. brass gears, $119.00? Will hopefully put it to use next weekend. I got mine to replace the shimano nasci 4000 I destroyed. 

It will be my paddleboard reel so when it gets splashed or dunked when I fall off LOL it will be easier to service. 

How’d the Nasci get destroyed?

I had one dunked a long while and then repeatedly dunk for brief moments that lasted really well.

I have another one I bought used in good shape that I somehow got it a little loose despite disassemble, clean & lube, reassemble, check the tolerances, change shims, rinse repeat. Still not quite right but definitely not destroyed.  

7 hours ago, faithless said:

BG is still really good. Might want to check out the Spheros SW inshore. It won't be as easy to service though if you dunk it.

My next 3-5k is probably one of those “inshore” Spheros or an FK/FL stradic (either or).

Just pre treat whatever you get with Yamaha blue marine grease or something similar, and corrosionX. Slows it down a little but definitely helps longevity 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, li_bass_hunter said:

BG’s are ok but I think the newer penn battles are a better reel

What does the Battle has over the BG in your opinion? 

34 mins ago, EricDice said:

I have another one I bought used in good shape that I somehow got it a little loose despite disassemble, clean & lube, reassemble, check the tolerances, change shims, rinse repeat. Still not quite right but definitely not destroyed.  

Yeah, that’s kinda where this one is at. I’ve cleaned it a few times, it still works

fine, just a little more loose/rough than the first couple seasons. Maybe I’ll give the bearings a shot but I don’t think it will be like it was. 

Edited by drmevo

42 mins ago, drmevo said:

What does the Battle has over the BG in your opinion? 

Yeah, that’s kinda where this one is at. I’ve cleaned it a few times, it still works

fine, just a little more loose/rough than the first couple seasons. Maybe I’ll give the bearings a shot but I don’t think it will be like it was. 

Some of my BG’s developed a clicking sound under a load when reeling a plug or fish in. And it wasn’t the line roller. The battle just feels better built in my opinion

I have not used any of the newer gear in the same price range but on paper it still looks like the king in the price range. 

Call me crazy, cheap, or both but I love the penn pursuit 3.  Ht-100 drag and the price can’t be beat.  I use them for fishing charters and have no complaints from any clients.  Quick mist after a trip to get off surface salt then switch the nozzle to shower which is just a little heavier of a spray to thoroughly clean the reel without driving any particulates inside the reel and strip them down at the end of the season and lightly re-grease. Have been work horses. For 50 bucks a pop I have a few backups just in case. Haven’t needed them yet.