odiemike86

PA resident buying used boat in NJ

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm going to be buying a used 14" jon boat and trailer in NJ. Does anyone know the process of transferring titles and how i get trailer home without tags?  

You may be able to go online to your DMV and get a temporary tag. I wouldn't recommend bringing it home without one. After you get it home, you should be able to use the out of state title to register and they will give you a new title.

Good question. I bought an used boat in Ohio and needed to drive about 7 hours back to PA. 

After I paid the guy, he started to take the license plate off the trailer. I was like, ummmmm. I really need that plate. I’ve got a long drive back and I really don’t need any hassles. 

Was glad the guy decided to leave it on the trailer and I mailed the plate back to him. 

13 mins ago, SoCalStripers said:

Good question. I bought an used boat in Ohio and needed to drive about 7 hours back to PA. 

After I paid the guy, he started to take the license plate off the trailer. I was like, ummmmm. I really need that plate. I’ve got a long drive back and I really don’t need any hassles. 

Was glad the guy decided to leave it on the trailer and I mailed the plate back to him. 

unfortunately in NJ the seller has to surrender tags when transferring title

In NJ there is no title on trailers weighing under 2500 lbs.  You have to have a notarized Bill of Sale and the old registration.  I'd check with the Pa DMV to see what they require for and out of state transfer.

I bought a car like 20 years ago private sale in PA, drove car home to NJ. I recall going with the seller to like a notary, I think it was, in PA that issued a PA temp tag. 

On 5/14/2021 at 9:06 AM, odiemike86 said:

I'm going to be buying a used 14" jon boat and trailer in NJ. Does anyone know the process of transferring titles and how i get trailer home without tags?  

Sounds like your buying it on a trailer. Boat trailers are probably the most ignored piece of equipment related to fishing that I have come across. It sounds like you have a long ride home never a bad thing to be extra prepared in the event of a flat tire on the trailer. Good spare, good jack and the right lug wrench. A set of those emergency tow lights that harbor freight sells are nice to have too. I realize that is pretty obvious but sometimes we all forget the simple little things that can completely ruin a day. I been stuck once and it really sucks. Best of luck with the new boat!

The previous owner let me keep the plate on so i could get home without any issues and i will mail her the plate back. Im heading to the tag place at lunch today to hopefully transfer. I have Title for boat, cert or origin for the trailer, current NJ registrations for both and signed bill of sale. Hopefully i wont have any issues transferring/ registering it in PA.

Remember.... you are going to pay sales tax when you register so you may want to... uh.. closely examine the bill of sale for the trailer and the boat...

Attempt number one to transfer the boat and trailer was a fail. The boat was purchased from an executor of an estate. Apparently i needed 2 short certificates (i only have one), one for boat and one for trailer. Also need original NJ current registrations not photo copies as i have. Luckily the executor agreed to meet me at a tag place with the missing info. 

18 mins ago, fmtuna said:

Remember.... you are going to pay sales tax when you register so you may want to... uh.. closely examine the bill of sale for the trailer and the boat...

we closely looked at that lol $350 each