macattack893

Teaser Flies

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I started using teaser flies for the first time this year and I’ve had some serious success with them. Almost all of the fish I’ve caught so far have been on the teaser fly. Tried throwing my usual gags whip it without the teaser and it seems like they aren’t nearly as interested in it. Anyone else have a similar experience with these teaser flies? 

9768C41F-EFEF-49A1-B937-8820EE89AC69.jpeg

71D8F157-106C-4499-ADCA-7DF7C0E329B4.jpeg

C91F4C08-1907-41BF-9E41-11D9AA4E3EB8.jpeg

Use them all the time and have fun tying them during the off season. I like big Deceiver’s 3/0 4/0 and even 5/0. Drop a chartreuse or neon pattern with a jig head for sea bass 

FEED5F0C-8AA6-4030-85EA-21A706186B19.jpeg

Yes! I’ve caught almost as many fish on teasers as regular lures. They even work for canal jigging, but you need very heavy leaders. I usually put one on the end of any metal as well.

Like Jeff above I’ve started leaving the plugs and tins at home too.

10 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

Teasers work. no doubt there. What hook is that?

It’s just a simple 1/0 white and chartreuse teaser I grabbed from Monahans nothing crazy was only a couple bucks. Best return on fishing gear I’ve ever had haha 

2 hours ago, Teambeefmaster said:

How do you attach to braid and mono?

Tie a dropper loop in the leader (least that’s what I do, then attach fly on a tiny TA clip)

I tie to 50#+ mono, short leader (6-9"), then TA clip on the other end. Clip the TA clip to the barrel swivel of my main leader. Easy on and off when you want them. 

Another way is to use a loop knot in the mono teaser leader instead of the TA clip. Feed the loop through the barrel eye and the fly through the loop, then pull the mono teaser leader tight. Whatever floats your boat. 

6 hours ago, bdowning said:

Another way is to use a loop knot in the mono teaser leader instead of the TA clip. Feed the loop through the barrel eye and the fly through the loop, then pull the mono teaser leader tight. Whatever floats your boat. 

That’s what I like to do. When you pull it tight it’ll grip the swivel keeping the teaser leader 90 deg from the main leader so they don’t get tangled as much.

Reminder to keep the distance between teaser and plug long enough so the plug doesn’t gash the fish when you’re fighting it on the teaser.

21 hours ago, macattack893 said:

This was from a south facing beach on the cape this past week. Two for one with a shad that took the teaser 

FC0B92E3-A566-41BC-AF04-BA1F44F014AD.jpeg

Nice catches! I’ve been using a teaser fly the last week or two and while I haven’t had a double-header, I’ve had a good mix of fish on the teaser (usually a shad) and the trailing  bucktail (usually a striper).