The Canal - Best Place to Eat

Rate this topic

If it hasn’t been mentioned yet, I’ll throw in a vote for Rock Bottom fish market and dine in. It’s right off old exit 2 on Rt. 3. No more than 10 minutes from Sagamore bridge. Fish, Clams, chowder, fish soup, everything my wife an I have tried there is excellent, and fresh!

Surprised no mention of Off the Grid for lunch. I can't think of a better place for lunch.  Seafood I would agree with Lobster Trap and Seafood Shanty.  Rockbottom is decent too.  Not a fan of Lyndsey's.   Best breakfast is Blueberry Muffin.  Leo's is trash.  Good location with good parking but that's where that ends.  Nextdoor Burger in Sandwich makes a good burger too.  

21 hours ago, keepah said:

Surprised no mention of Off the Grid for lunch. I can't think of a better place for lunch.  Seafood I would agree with Lobster Trap and Seafood Shanty.  Rockbottom is decent too.  Not a fan of Lyndsey's.   Best breakfast is Blueberry Muffin.  Leo's is trash.  Good location with good parking but that's where that ends.  Nextdoor Burger in Sandwich makes a good burger too.  

Gotta agree on Blueberry Muffin, unless it has gone downhill in the 5 years since I moved.

Pro tip: if you see an entire shift from a Plymouth FD station having breakfast in a place, mark it down.

The Shanty has the best fried seafood on the entire Upper Cape. Before it went under, the Fishmonger in Woods Hole could give it a run for its money.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

On 5/28/2022 at 4:55 PM, Ditch Jigger said:

Gotta agree on Blueberry Muffin, unless it has gone downhill in the 5 years since I moved.

Pro tip: if you see an entire shift from a Plymouth FD station having breakfast in a place, mark it down.

The Shanty has the best fried seafood on the entire Upper Cape. Before it went under, the Fishmonger in Woods Hole could give it a run for its money.

It has gone down hill in my opinion. I used to stop by after early morning fishing for some fresh muffins, quite often. For a place named "blueberry muffin", they should be ashamed for their current practice of selling day old muffins for full price til they sell. Happened once and I thought it was a fluke. Next time I bought a dozen for visiting family to enjoy, 5 of the dozen were stale and unpleasant and were tossed. The muffins at the Shaws next door are made fresh every day and cost way less. If you can't beat a supermarket muffin you should rename your establishment to something else! Generally I like their breakfast, maybe they should be renamed "corned beef hash" because that has always been fresh and home made... like their muffins should be!

giphy.gif

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

On 5/28/2022 at 4:55 PM, Ditch Jigger said:

back in the day sagamore inn was a pretty good seafood joint. 

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

back in the day sagamore inn was a pretty good seafood joint. 

Yep, back in the day when I fished the Cape side of the Canal, I ate at the Sagamore Inn. 

I always sat at the bar and chatted with the gal waitstaff, gal bartender, the owner and locals while dining on their broiled day boat haddock, yellow summer squash and mashed potato.