Maine Guide

The Canal - Best Place to Eat

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, gray gables said:

At this day an age if your not taking credit cards or debit cards your losing business. My daughter works at my neighbors bakery that has been in business for 60 plus years. Up until 2019 it was cash or check only. She turned away a lot of people cause of this. Then their nephew bought the business. First thing he changed was that format. The Misses wasn’t happy about because of the paperwork involved. Well business increased by almost 35% because of that switch. My neighbors that owned it and ran it are stuck in the dark ages with thinking like that. 

Mark Anthony's is cash. 

There were some crazy things that went on in the basement after hours back in the day. 

44 mins ago, FEW3 said:

Mark Anthony's is cash. 

There were some crazy things that went on in the basement after hours back in the day. 

That owner was a ******* creep. :mad: 

3 hours ago, FEW3 said:

Mark Anthony's is cash. 

Drugs? Hookers?

On 5/14/2021 at 11:29 AM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Marc Anthony's on the water in Onset has great pizza, fried seafood, as well as top notch steak tips. Not expensive either.

Best wings around and can give Wendell’s in Norton a run for their money.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:43 PM, gray gables said:

At this day an age if your not taking credit cards or debit cards your losing business. My daughter works at my neighbors bakery that has been in business for 60 plus years. Up until 2019 it was cash or check only. She turned away a lot of people cause of this. Then their nephew bought the business. First thing he changed was that format. The Misses wasn’t happy about because of the paperwork involved. Well business increased by almost 35% because of that switch. My neighbors that owned it and ran it are stuck in the dark ages with thinking like that. 

I totally agree. 

I walk out of cash only businesses on most occasions. 

I generally carry a small amount of cash for contingencies but not enough to buy a couple of fried clam plates. And I have a real problem paying $3.50 for the privilege of accessing my own money just because the owner of the restaurant doesn't like paperwork. Especially when I'm about to pay $25.00 for a meal served on a paper plate.

8 mins ago, Swine4Stripers said:

Last few meals at fisherman’s view have been great. The service was even better. 

Was it fairly occupied with diners and if so, how did you find the level of chatter and noise in the dining area?  

4 hours ago, mikez2 said:

And I have a real problem paying $3.50 for the privilege of accessing my own money just because the owner of the restaurant doesn't like paperwork.

Any place not accepting cards these days is definitely going to lose some business but . . . 

It has little to do with paperwork and a lot to do with the cost of accepting cards.

Do you pay the state a "convenience fee" when you buy your license? Do you think they don't like paperwork?

Besides, a decent bank will refund your ATM charges incurred when using your card at a non-affiliated ATM.  

47 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Any place not accepting cards these days is definitely going to lose some business but . . . 

It has little to do with paperwork and a lot to do with the cost of accepting cards.

Do you pay the state a "convenience fee" when you buy your license? Do you think they don't like paperwork?

Besides, a decent bank will refund your ATM charges incurred when using your card at a non-affiliated ATM.  

I don't really put that much thought into it. 

No take my card, no get my business. 

Especially when there's a half dozen similar joints down the street.

7 hours ago, Joe G said:

Was it fairly occupied with diners and if so, how did you find the level of chatter and noise in the dining area?  

We sat in the bar area which was moderately busy. No issues with noise. 

On 5/13/2021 at 9:24 PM, PlumFishing said:

Lindsey’s in E. Wareham.
Get the seafood bisque to start. 

I forgot about Lindsey's.  That bisque is amazing.  We used to stop every year on the way home when we stayed mainland side.  Now it's out of the way enough where we never think to do it.