Maine Guide

The Canal - Best Place to Eat

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Seafood Sams for anything fried. They serve beer too. For something more formal, Fishermans View: hands down the best restaurant in the area.

21 mins ago, Deniz said:

Seafood Sams for anything fried. They serve beer too. For something more formal, Fishermans View: hands down the best restaurant in the area.

Big fan of the Fishermans View.

Marc Anthony's on the water in Onset has great pizza, fried seafood, as well as top notch steak tips. Not expensive either.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm not a fan of the Fishermen's  View.  :shaky:

me neither. gave them 4 chances and was not impressed any of the 4 times. prices are high for rushed small portions. lobster trap is same cost and in my opinion much much better food and a better portion. all that fisherman's view has going is its location.

13 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Seafood Shanty on rt 6 next to the herring run has awesome fried clams. I'd gladly meet up with ya for fried clams and canal fishing if you didn't **** **** ***.

seriously. 

20201011_144124.jpg.cba7c45d7686a6147f3bdb3fe981b4bb.jpg

Thanks D-Money. 

PM next time you are heading for the Canal and I will let you buy. Least you can do for all the free education I’ve given you the past couple of years. 

Kinda surprised to see Seafood Sam's suggested. I used to live down the street from the one on Coast Guard Rd. Went there maybe three times and hated myself for that decision every time. Don't know why anyone goes there with so many quality other options in the area, like some of the ones already mentioned in this thread.

If you want a relatively cheaper lobster roll that is very good, try Barnacle Bills. I have had a lobster roll at both Barnacle Bills and the Lobster Pot and I prefer Barnacle Bills. Lobster Pot is better for things like lazy man lobster dish though.

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm not a fan of the Fishermen's  View.  :shaky:

Went there shortly before we moved. I wasn't impressed. Mediocre at best.

Also, the Seafood Shanty wasn't accepting credit or debit cards, when I moved away. They had an ATM on site, but it was one of those no-name ones that charged a hefty surcharge, and I always felt that you were spinning a roulette wheel with your bank account when you used one of those. So if it's still no cards, I'd suggest you bring enough cash with you. There's a Bank of America ATM up the road next to Friendly's.

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Went there shortly before we moved. I wasn't impressed. Mediocre at best.

Also, the Seafood Shanty wasn't accepting credit or debit cards, when I moved away. They had an ATM on site, but it was one of those no-name ones that charged a hefty surcharge, and I always felt that you were spinning a roulette wheel with your bank account when you used one of those. So if it's still no cards, I'd suggest you bring enough cash with you. There's a Bank of America ATM up the road next to Friendly's.

At this day an age if your not taking credit cards or debit cards your losing business. My daughter works at my neighbors bakery that has been in business for 60 plus years. Up until 2019 it was cash or check only. She turned away a lot of people cause of this. Then their nephew bought the business. First thing he changed was that format. The Misses wasn’t happy about because of the paperwork involved. Well business increased by almost 35% because of that switch. My neighbors that owned it and ran it are stuck in the dark ages with thinking like that. 

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

At this day an age if your not taking credit cards or debit cards your losing business. My daughter works at my neighbors bakery that has been in business for 60 plus years. Up until 2019 it was cash or check only. She turned away a lot of people cause of this. Then their nephew bought the business. First thing he changed was that format. The Misses wasn’t happy about because of the paperwork involved. Well business increased by almost 35% because of that switch. My neighbors that owned it and ran it are stuck in the dark ages with thinking like that. 

I hate places that are cash only. I hardly ever have cash on me anymore. Most of the cash only places are probably skimping on paying taxes too.