Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAssasin

Which reel to buy?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Any opinions are appreciated. I want to buy a new rod and reel this winter, something fishing related to take me through the cold months. I am thinking of a ben doerr something in the 9'6" range. I want to be able to use it at places like Montauk where the potential for large fish is high and so they won't laugh at me if I walk up with an 8" St. Croix Tidemaster. Anyway, the reels I have considered are the Vanstaal and Shimano Sustain 5000 or 6000. Obviously there is a big difference in price so that is a consideration. I own a Stradic that I am very happy with so that is not out of contention. One of the SOL members that I consider knowledgable told me that I shouldn't eliminate the Mitchell Neptune

before I ask you guys. One feature that I do like about the Vanstaal is the manual bail, losing heavy plugs when the bail snaps shut isn't much fun. Any suggestions from the heavy hitters is appreciated.

IMHO,the Ben Doerr 9'6"(I believe it's 9'4")is too light for Montauk.You'd be better served by something built on a Lamiglas 10' blank such as the GSB120-1L or M.The Sabre 1208 and 9 are also thought to be good blanks by many but I don't have any personal experience with them.As for reels,the Van Staal and Sustains are both great but pricy.Give some thought to the old standby,Penn 704Z.It's reasonably priced,easy to get parts/service and can be easily modified for the dunkings it will see at Montauk.A manual conversion kit is readily available for around 5 bucks as well.Many will tell you this is NOT a braid friendly reel but I've had 50 lb.Power Pro on mine for the past season with no problem at all.Hope this is of some help.

------------------

The roar of the surf,the taste of the salt and the scream of the drag.

CMSTRIPER@juno.com

I second cmstriper. 10' minimum. I hardly ever use my 8 footer. Once in awhile I carry it if my wife and I are taking a walk on the beach and I am always disappointed. The 10 footer casts so much easier. Also agree about the 704Z. Great reel. I recommend the manual pickup, but if you don't like it you can put the bail back on in about 5 minutes. I would also consider the Neptune, just because I am getting tired of taking apart the 704Z everytime I dunk it.

IMHO, if you want a spinning reel the Neptune is a great reel especially for the money. I've had two for just about 8 months (I'll guess 100ish trips) and they've both been great. One night I had a little operator bail error, but that was due to 5 hours of sleep in 3 days. But that's it. I really like these reels. biggrin.gif

I concur on the rod choices--10' minimum for the Point, and would favor the M power Lamiglas over the L. Big water+crowds=problems if your rod can't control a good fish. The names the Regulars might call you if you take what they consider to be too long to land a fish won't be pretty smile.gif

If you can afford the VS, it's a real that was really designed with Montauk in mind, and I would suggest you move with dispatch as a $200+ price increase is right around the corner. Otherwise, the Neptune is a good choice and the old classic Penn 704 is one you can beat on. It'll hold up to brief dunkings and splashes, but if it spends a lot of time under water, you have to break it down, clean and re-grease after every trip. No big deal, it's about the simplest spinning reel made. After you do it 2 or 3 times, you can break it down and put it back together in about 15 minutes, blindfolded.

The Sustains are great reels, but I have reservations about their ability to hold up to Montauk-type conditions.

....a $200 PRICE INCREASE???? ..... yikes.

The mind boggles. I'll keep my knees dry and just cast from the cobblestones, I think. What technical innovation is the excuse for this price hike?

For the Guys that are using the Neptune, have you had any problems with PBC (premature bail closure )?

And also any of you guys using the neptune ever take it apart yet? is it an enigma wrapped in a riddle to figure out?

BrianZ,

One night I had problems with premature bail closing on my Neptune but it was really due to operator error.(i.e. no sleep). I actually did a post about it and TimS replied with some pertinent info.

If poor Tim wasn't being jerked around by his server you could do a search for the topic. But the gist of the response was that he opened his bail in the same position for every cast. I just make sure to open the bail parallel to the ground each time. Since that night I haven't had any problems.

On a related topic; I think TimS also experimented with removing the bail on his Neptune but found it unnecessary. If I remember correctly this was more tinkering than problem solving.

Good luck.

I think that bail snapping shut on the cast is almost always operator error. A bailk opened on top of the reel and a motion that moves the reel forward on the cast rather than a torque around the reel will cause the bail to snap shut on a lot of reel. best thing is to open it up on the bottom side paralell to the ground as mentioned. That way if you do make a cast with a forward snap movement of the reel , it tend to snap it open rather than shut. With spinners I like to torque around the reel with one hand pushing forward and the bottom hand pulling back. Both hands going forward will cause the motion that results in the bail snapping shut.

As far as the rig for Montauk goes , I think its time to go for a conventional reel BassAssasin. Far better tool once mastered.

Saltheart, I wonder how my 6500mag would stand up to underwater fishing in Montauk. I rearely get in the water without my reel getting submerged, either in the actual fishing act or in using the rod as a walking stick while walking thriugh the rocks. There are those that never walk more than 1 foot deep but they are not taking advantage of anywhere near all the that Montauk has to offer.

I use VS reels for the most part but some don't think they are worth the bucks. I've seen several Yellow Mitchell's out there and everyone liked them. School's out on durability since they haven't been around long. I know guy's who use 704's and 706's and they are durable and parts are readily available. If you fish them under water frequent cleaning and regreasing is in order.

I know guy's who use various braids with all of these reels with no problem.

I'd go with at least a 10 footer. I use a Lami 132 1M most of the time. About 1/3 of the guys in Montauk use this as their go to rod. I have a 10' Kennedy (light) that I use whenever I can 'cause I love it. If I was going with a 10' only it would be stiffer than my Kennedy.

Crazy Bill

I used the Mitchell Neptune for 106 hard days of fishing last year ( guessing at about 500 hours). Not one premie bail closure I can remember and no problems ( other than the braid-in-the-rain thing). That reel is a work horse. In fact, I just got a good deal on a new 7500 I couldn't pass up - $ 110.00 - so I'll have one in the box, just in case. I love this reel. I even like the color of the damn thing now. On a big fish, I wouldn't want anything else in my hands.

Mully--the stated justification for the price hike is the new, improved, waterproof ball bearing drag. Along with a titanium main shaft Which will put the bigger VS reels in the +/- $650 range.

The real reason is that Shimano and Daiwa have pushed the envelope to that level and VS is convinced that the market will bear that price. It's academic for me, they've priced me out of any further purchases, but I'm hoping this blows up in their faces.

How much you figure the annual service is going to cost next year?

Ditch Jigger... The only VS I tried a couple of years ago had a large gap between it's static friction and dynamic friction values. That drag required a lot more lbs to start slipping than the lbs required to keep it sliping. I have ZERO tolerance for this problem and I was very dissapointed with the reel. I remember you mentioning something about this. Is this usual in these reels?

Sergio

No, Sergio, in fact it's fairly typical. The original drags are terrible, no one is going to argue with that. It's one reason for them re-working the design. The problem is easily solved by installing two HT-100 and one Teflon Penn washer--but, you're right, such a tweak should not be necessary for a $450 reel.

What I find amusing is that the 100 and 150 models had the re-worked drag installed last year and they didn't undergo a $200 price increase. They went up, but only by $70 or so.