Targeting Bigger Fish

Rate this topic

Mr.Belmar

On 5/13/2021 at 8:54 PM, Mr.Belmar said:

I’m sure the thought goes through all our heads while taking that next cast- when am I gonna hook into ‘the big one’ ... is it just by chance or is it being in the right place at the right time with the right plug/bait? 

So I wanted to start a fun new thread about specifically targeting big fish and different things you have learned that have helped.

I’m sure there’s past threads on the subject - but who doesn’t like talking about fish? 

Please be specific, without spot burning of course; tactics, ideas, big fish behavior (what are the cows thinking), theories, lures, structure and bottom contour/ make up, weather/conditions/tides, distance, beach vs back bay, tackle and equipment etc.... 

The big one is what we want.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, Irishfire18 said:

Yes it will be

Are you a veteran plug man?

I asked because I'm just hoping that you're not like some members of this forum they talk techniques but, in reality they rarely fish at all, just talk about it,  no insult intended.

Some can talk the talk but they can't walk the walk

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

12 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Are you a veteran plug man?

I asked because I'm just hoping that you're not like some members of this forum they talk techniques but, in reality they rarely fish at all, just talk about it,  no insult intended.

Some can talk the talk but they can't walk the walk

HH

I’ve been fishing along time  used whatever caught . This year I’ve put the plastic away and have been only using wood. Trying to use large rear stuff to cull out some bigger fish.  Tried your method the other night in an inlet with outgoing water with no luck. Couldn’t get all the way out to the mouth because of the swells. There was smaller fish chasing rain type bait all along the rock but no luck.

8 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

I’ve been fishing along time  used whatever caught . This year I’ve put the plastic away and have been only using wood. Trying to use large rear stuff to cull out some bigger fish.  Tried your method the other night in an inlet with outgoing water with no luck. Couldn’t get all the way out to the mouth because of the swells. There was smaller fish chasing rain type bait all along the rock but no luck.

Okay got you, I don't know how deep this inlet is but if it's like say 20 ft 18 ft something like that try doing the same thing with a darter or a swimmer that swims up surface maybe 3 feet down 4 ft down, you will run into one believe me and you better be ready with everything I told you.

HH

Tried tonight last hour of incoming till start of out . No luck though.   Think 14' . And going to try darter and or swimmer next time.

5 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Okay got you, I don't know how deep this inlet is but if it's like say 20 ft 18 ft something like that try doing the same thing with a darter or a swimmer that swims up surface maybe 3 feet down 4 ft down, you will run into one believe me and you better be ready with everything I told you.

HH

Have flat surf out front and no real water movement so that's why I tried the back.

5 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

Tried tonight last hour of incoming till start of out . No luck though.   Think 14' . And going to try darter and or swimmer next time.

Have flat surf out front and no real water movement so that's why I tried the back.

They could be there just want any fish there or they were there and they were turned off, I don't know if that place where you were at is known for holding a bunch of fish or not but don't give up it's August I bet there will be some fish in there in ROCKTOBER!

HH

1 min ago, liambrouillette said:

Not that I've caught any big bass from the surf but I think time of year, water temperature, and big fish being present are underrated. Doesn't matter what you throw if there not there. 

Every time I go out there are big fish present. Having a big fish mentality is certain the most underrated tactic.

Water temps are 100% overrated, and time of year is overrated. I know of a few 40s that were caught in the first week of august in NJ when those fish should have been drinking beers on the beach in Mass

5 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Every time I go out there are big fish present. Having a big fish mentality is certain the most underrated tactic.

Water temps are 100% overrated, and time of year is overrated. I know of a few 40s that were caught in the first week of august in NJ when those fish should have been drinking beers on the beach in Mass

Have you ever heard of the Miramichi river in Canada? well some believe as many as two million striped bass spawn in that river every year. From personal experience when the water temp is over 70 degrees catching striped bass becomes more difficult, sure there's are anomalies and random events, but if you wanna catch big fish focusing on strange random occurrences is probably not an ideal strategy. This spring on Long Island most of the big fish moved to montauk and north of that in the beginning of June. 

Just now, liambrouillette said:

Have you ever heard of the Miramichi river in Canada? well some believe as many as two million striped bass spawn in that river every year. From personal experience when the water temp is over 70 degrees catching striped bass becomes more difficult, sure there's are anomalies and random events, but if you wanna catch big fish focusing on strange random occurrences is probably not an ideal strategy. This spring on Long Island most of the big fish moved to montauk and north of that in the beginning of June. 

I didn't disagree with the importance of water temps, but I think its overrated. Anomalies are not random, they are simply infrequent patterns