RedGreen

Tranx 500 vs 400 casting ability

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've had my 500HG for a couple weeks almost and I've found with the typical larger plugs and swimbaits I am using I'm getting just as much if not more distance than with my 400 with the same line, sufix 832 50#.

I don't have a counter but the picture here shows both the 400 and 500 spooled to the same diameter with braid, I'd guess 15-20 yards less line on the 500? Has to fit easily 450 yards of this stuff possibly 475. Almost the same class as my Penn fathom 25N lever drag in terms of capacity. 

IMG_20210604_145930177.jpg.eba7c7931e8f04b520c068acf4fefcf6.jpg

Casting lighter lures... 1oz jigs is very doable, though the 400 definitely wins out here. Still I am getting 150-175' with a 1oz flarehawk and a bit less with a 1oz magdarter. 

I haven't hooked anything really big on it yet as work has kept me traveling a lot recently but overall I am extremely happy I have this now and am kicking myself for not buying one sooner. 

Edited by RedGreen

6 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

So I need one too then?

Depends on your needs. The 400 wasn't enough for what I was doing with it, in terms of drag line capacity and pickup rate, and I didn't use light lures enough to justify using it over the 500. The extra weight was worth it as the 400 just wasn't really cutting it for my purposes

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/13/2021 at 0:51 PM, RedGreen said:

Haven't found a clear answer to this so wanted to ask. What's the limit of weights I can cast on the tranx 400 and 500? I can do 3/4oz on the 400 but it's not ideal. 1.75oz is great, more obviously better. Can I send 1.75oz on the tranx 500 as well, or is that pushing my luck? 

I don't have the Tranx 500, however with the 300 and 400 the only real limit to those reels on the high end is you.

With the right rod you should be able to cast 1/2oz easy with the Tranx 400.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 5/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, RedGreen said:

I have found I like a stiffer more moderately actioned rod for overhead reels, I'm pairing this with a 9' tackle industries XH musky rod I built. Rating is 2-8 but I can fish down to 1oz on it no problem. It's pretty crazy how far I can zing a 1oz bucktail with it and the tranx 400. I wouldn't fish anything under 1/2oz on my tranx 400 it's pretty challenging. 3/4 is very doable. My snatch hooks are 0.6 and they're alright. 

I'd expect the 500 with 1oz to be at least fishable. It doesn't have to be perfect. If I can get a consistent 40 yards with 1oz that's all I need. My question/concern is more oriented around the low end of what can reasonably be fished. Think 1oz could be put out there 40 yards on a 9ft rod @ZAFisher ?

I love those musky rods myself, I use the 9ft MH and the 9ft XXH, I gave the XH rods to a buddy.

I think its way more about the rod then the reel itself ! Had the tranx 400 hg was casting no issue down to 1/2 oz swimmers sp minnows no issue snap casting them overhead no lobbing. Any thing upwards to 3 oz dannys no issues at all ! Then i switched rods the new rod was a heavy fast action rod ! This rod made it near impossible to cast anything under 11/2 oz getting terrible back lashes no distance . So for me it was the rod not the reel ! Tranx 400 hg great reel !

Obviously the high end isn't in question. Both reels will work great for 3-4oz. I wasn't sure how the bigger spool of the 500 would handle light stuff. Seems great. I was sending snatch hooks last night to catch bait, 3/8oz egg tied on under a 4/0 9626 VMC. No problems. 

21 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I love those musky rods myself, I use the 9ft MH and the 9ft XXH, I gave the XH rods to a buddy.

I have some doubts about the pre-preg they use, my rod took a permanent set being rigged and left in a car for 2 days while I had to travel for work. I have never heard of this happening with a graphite rod, only fiberglass and bamboo. Maybe the pro blanks are better. I don't know. If this breaks I'll deal with it then. I don't think it'll happen, it can easily deadlift 10lbs at 120 degrees. 

19 hours ago, shark lobster said:

I think its way more about the rod then the reel itself ! Had the tranx 400 hg was casting no issue down to 1/2 oz swimmers sp minnows no issue snap casting them overhead no lobbing. Any thing upwards to 3 oz dannys no issues at all ! Then i switched rods the new rod was a heavy fast action rod ! This rod made it near impossible to cast anything under 11/2 oz getting terrible back lashes no distance . So for me it was the rod not the reel ! Tranx 400 hg great reel !

Maybe. I could send SPs and hydros far with a 2-8oz TI. Doesn't hardly load at all with them. I don't have a more flexible rod for baitcasting I need the backbone for muscling fish around. 

3 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Obviously the high end isn't in question. Both reels will work great for 3-4oz. I wasn't sure how the bigger spool of the 500 would handle light stuff. Seems great. I was sending snatch hooks last night to catch bait, 3/8oz egg tied on under a 4/0 9626 VMC. No problems. 

I have some doubts about the pre-preg they use, my rod took a permanent set being rigged and left in a car for 2 days while I had to travel for work. I have never heard of this happening with a graphite rod, only fiberglass and bamboo. Maybe the pro blanks are better. I don't know. If this breaks I'll deal with it then. I don't think it'll happen, it can easily deadlift 10lbs at 120 degrees. 

Maybe. I could send SPs and hydros far with a 2-8oz TI. Doesn't hardly load at all with them. I don't have a more flexible rod for baitcasting I need the backbone for muscling fish around. 

I have a bunch of rods that remain in vehicle for the summer months.........some high end rods have formed sets...some havent....no way to tell why.  

It's only an issue when I fish during daylight hours...at night..i'd never know :)

Edited by scoobydoo

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I have a bunch of rods that remain in vehicle for the summer months.........some high end rods have formed sets...some havent....no way to tell why.  

It's only an issue when I fish during daylight hours...at night..i'd never know :)

Good to know, I figured it was cheap material, fiberglass added in or low quality pre-preg. What makes/models?

9 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Never had this happen with me on any rod, but Dennysnook had, I think, G. Lomis take a permanent set.

If I leave my rods in my vehicle, which happens most of the time, I make sure that the vehicle is vented and that the rods are not flexed. I am paranoid about getting a permanent set in any rod.

Edited by Beastly Backlash