RedGreen

Tranx 500 vs 400 casting ability

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Haven't found a clear answer to this so wanted to ask. What's the limit of weights I can cast on the tranx 400 and 500? I can do 3/4oz on the 400 but it's not ideal. 1.75oz is great, more obviously better. Can I send 1.75oz on the tranx 500 as well, or is that pushing my luck? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The 500 is a big reel. It is not proportional to the size of 400.. Why do you want such a giant reel to cast 1.75oz?

Edited by levari

I bought my tranx 400 originally to swimbait for snook upon strong recommendation from a friend. The kit evolved from that to something I used whenever I wanted to fish overhead gear, which I really enjoy in addition to spinning. When I started surf fishing again I wanted to build a baitcasting setup for plugging instead of spinning. Spinners being actually sealed, the choice was kind of made for me. I'm kind of reclaiming that initial plan with an overhead setup that will do almost everything that a 1-5oz spinning setup will do, save catching bait.

Where I live now the tranx 400 is perfect for any fish up to about 50 lbs, excluding grouper of that size on bridges and such. For tarpon 80lbs+ and for plugging sharks I would much rather have the 500 with an additional 7 lbs of drag (my 400 is a low gear, max drag really is 18lbs without over-tightening) and the additional 130 yards of 50# braid (I can squeeze 300 on my 400). I feel 300 of 50# and 18lbs drag is a little light for some of the bigger species here, and I'd rather sell it and get a tranx 500 if it will do 90% of what my 400 does, knowing it will have a lot more drag and capacity. 

Edited by RedGreen

For me  like 1oz as a minimum on my 400 (think SP minnow or similar); 2oz+ metals as well as say SS Stubby needle of GT Ice Creams zing out.

I built a tuna popping rod around a Tranx 500 so it lived with me for a bit so I could test (my story) 1.75 is perhaps being a bit greedy, but it should work; 2oz was fine; 3-4 threw really well

2 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

For me  like 1oz as a minimum on my 400 (think SP minnow or similar); 2oz+ metals as well as say SS Stubby needle of GT Ice Creams zing out.

I built a tuna popping rod around a Tranx 500 so it lived with me for a bit so I could test (my story) 1.75 is perhaps being a bit greedy, but it should work; 2oz was fine; 3-4 threw really well

Great, just the info I was looking for. I'll think about this a bit. 

1 hour ago, levari said:

It’s too heavy and clumsy for plugging...

It's a lighter reel than the Penn torque 5 bailed and bailless which I have no problem plugging for 8 hours with. I don't palm reels ever anyways, I hold the foregrip so size isn't really a consideration unless it's just stupidly large. Do you have a PG or HG model?

9 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Great, just the info I was looking for. I'll think about this a bit. 

It's a lighter reel than the Penn torque 5 bailed and bailless which I have no problem plugging for 8 hours with. I don't palm reels ever anyways, I hold the foregrip so size isn't really a consideration unless it's just stupidly large. Do you have a PG or HG model?

HG

097EB3A1-4449-4451-BE32-B8E3279138E6.jpeg

Edited by levari

Pretty sure the rod has a lot to do with casting ability, I have a lexa 400 on a 10ft and I find that casting 3/4oz takes more effort than a 3oz metal lip. @RedGreen

I have found I like a stiffer more moderately actioned rod for overhead reels, I'm pairing this with a 9' tackle industries XH musky rod I built. Rating is 2-8 but I can fish down to 1oz on it no problem. It's pretty crazy how far I can zing a 1oz bucktail with it and the tranx 400. I wouldn't fish anything under 1/2oz on my tranx 400 it's pretty challenging. 3/4 is very doable. My snatch hooks are 0.6 and they're alright. 

I'd expect the 500 with 1oz to be at least fishable. It doesn't have to be perfect. If I can get a consistent 40 yards with 1oz that's all I need. My question/concern is more oriented around the low end of what can reasonably be fished. Think 1oz could be put out there 40 yards on a 9ft rod @ZAFisher ?

Got a tranx 500. I don’t think I would really want to throw 1 oz on it. Don’t think I’ve ever tried to though.

It’s got a fairly big spool. Maybe you could throw 1 oz with it and a perfect rod but not too sure it would be a lot of fun and that you’d want to do it regularly. 

Just now, SoCalStripers said:

Got a tranx 500. I don’t think I would really want to throw 1 oz on it. Don’t think I’ve ever tried to though.

It’s got a fairly big spool. Maybe you could throw 1 oz with it and a perfect rod but not too sure it would be a lot of fun and that you’d want to do it regularly. 

It's not something I'd do regularly. The lightest thing I'd throw with some regularity is a 1.5oz bucktail/flarehawk. The 1oz jig is only in a couple spots a couple times a year. Everything else is 2oz+

Yep. Colt snipers are a fun bait tor schoolie sized yellowfin. Not sure I really could throw a 80 gram sniper effectively with the tranx 500. That’s already around 2.5 oz if my math is correct. Usually went to a 400 reel for that. 

But if you gotta have that 500 you gotta have one man! :) It’s an awesome reel for sure.