Frank2104

New Taco- Considering CRC Corrision Inhibitor

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got my new Taco two weeks ago. While waiting for weekday surf tag release I've been reading about protecting the underbody. I like to keep wheels a long time. Saw one review by Repair Geek and I liked the results he got with cosmoline type products like CRC Corrosion Inhibitor. This would be a DIY without any lift. Looking for pro's and cons or things to beware. 

Alternatively any suggestions on where to have it done around northern DE.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Frank2104
better location info

I got a new truck last September, I spayed the under carriage with four cans of Fluid Film, stuff is great and overspray can get on rubber and plastic without degrading it as it has no solvents in it. Appears to have protected it very well over this last winter. It is cheap and available at Lowes, plan on doing it every fall. Only downside is the film it leaves attracts dust and stays sticky, did some suspension upgrades and working on it I needed to wear nitrile gloves.

12 hours ago, MacCTD said:

I got a new truck last September, I spayed the under carriage with four cans of Fluid Film, stuff is great and overspray can get on rubber and plastic without degrading it as it has no solvents in it. Appears to have protected it very well over this last winter. It is cheap and available at Lowes, plan on doing it every fall. Only downside is the film it leaves attracts dust and stays sticky, did some suspension upgrades and working on it I needed to wear nitrile gloves.

MacCTD Yeah...the sticky dirt attraction was one reason I liked the look of the CRC. Dries to hard waxy finish and doesn't get washed off as easy. Did you have lift or do it with truck on the ground? How messy is application as far as drip page?

2 mins ago, Frank2104 said:

MacCTD Yeah...the sticky dirt attraction was one reason I liked the look of the CRC. Dries to hard waxy finish and doesn't get washed off as easy. Did you have lift or do it with truck on the ground? How messy is application as far as drip page?

I just rolled around on the ground under my truck and got the FF all over myself and the driveway. It was easy to spray into tight spots, I took down the spare and sprayed where it sits and the steel wheel as well. 

On the surface, given the issues with taco frames, this is a good idea. But, and there's usually one, I would ask Yota what this would do to any possible future warranty issues. Mainly, If there was a future issue would this void any frame warranty. I've heard second hand that it does void that warranty and it would impact a future frame replacement.

I had 2 different Tacos need frame replacements. Toyota took care of both without any real issues so I would make sure that if you do something you won't lose that option.

My first truck was a 1975 Toyota it went into the junkyard with about 5' of lawnmower blades as the frame.

Four more Toyota trucks later I have just given up on them. Sorry the replacement frame on the 2002 is 

shot to hell. 

No more!

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

On the surface, given the issues with taco frames, this is a good idea. But, and there's usually one, I would ask Yota what this would do to any possible future warranty issues. Mainly, If there was a future issue would this void any frame warranty. I've heard second hand that it does void that warranty and it would impact a future frame replacement.

I had 2 different Tacos need frame replacements. Toyota took care of both without any real issues so I would make sure that if you do something you won't lose that option.

I can see that with something like POR-15 or a rubberized coating but with stuff like FF or Woolwax it can be just wiped off, it does not dry and cannot trap moisture and cause corrosion the way some other coatings do. 

1 hour ago, CapeDave said:

My first truck was a 1975 Toyota it went into the junkyard with about 5' of lawnmower blades as the frame.

Four more Toyota trucks later I have just given up on them. Sorry the replacement frame on the 2002 is 

shot to hell. 

No more!

Not as long as you but been through 3 tacomas. This will be my last. Back to GMC for different type of headaches...lol

14 hours ago, CapeDave said:

shot to hell. 

No more!

What other truck will you get 19 years of use out of? Toyota frames suck but the rest of them is super reliable. You can’t really say that about any other manufacturer. 

9 mins ago, z-man said:

What other truck will you get 19 years of use out of? Toyota frames suck but the rest of them is super reliable. You can’t really say that about any other manufacturer. 

My 1977 chevy 292 step van that i bought out of of junk yard in RI in 1998 is still going strong!

29 mins ago, CapeDave said:

My 1977 chevy 292 step van that i bought out of of junk yard in RI in 1998 is still going strong!

I think we’re talking about modern vehicles here. 
To the OP I personally wouldn’t risk putting any coating on the frame and giving Toyota any excuse to not replace your frame. 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, z-man said:

I had a Pathfinder for 21 years, never a mechanical issue. Frame was solid and probably still is.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, MacCTD said:

I can see that with something like POR-15 or a rubberized coating but with stuff like FF or Woolwax it can be just wiped off, it does not dry and cannot trap moisture and cause corrosion the way some other coatings do. 

Perhaps, but in the end Toyota will decide. It would certainly suck to lose out on a frame replacement due to a technicality.