Nomad92

Line recommendations for big baits

8 posts in this topic

What line are guys using to throw big swim baits and glide baits? I’ve been using straight 25# AbrazX for a couple years. recent events have me looking for options. I prefer straight flouro but I’m open to any suggestions. Even a heavy braid to flouro leader. Let me know what you’re using, thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

All my baitcasting reels run braid with flouro leader.  Usually about 35# braid and adjust leader from 10# to 14# depending on bait size.  If there are toothy critters in the area I go up to heavier leader.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

18 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Some rods 50 pound braid

Some 20 pound braid.a mix of leaders 20 and 30 I think

I’ve been using strictly flouro (abrazx, invinx). I may try some bigger braid with a heavy leader. Big pike in the waters I frequent. While I don’t mind catching them, I don’t want any more $30-$50 baits taken by em. 

I have 40 or 50 pound Suffix 832 on my swimbait reel. I use Berkley Big Game 20, 30, and 40 pound mono for a leader depending on what lure I'm fishing with and what the target is.  I use either a blood knot or uni-to-uni knot for tying leader to braid. 

I throw hard swimbaits up to 6 ounces and my preferred set up after lots of trial and error has been 65# braid ( PowerPro Super Slick V2 Braid ) with an 8’ to 10’ leader ( Maxima Ultra Green 20# ). 

I use an Improved Alberto knot or a uni to uni to tie the braid to the leader. 

Since switching to this set up I haven’t snapped off any baits if I back lash. 

I found braid to flourocarbon very unforgiving and if I did back lash I’d get a snap off. 

Find a combination that works for you and suits your baits and style. 

30# Sufix 832 braid to a 20# Sunline Shooter leader. I don’t fish $30-$40 or higher swimbaits, just too much stress about losing them. Plus, chucking anything over an ounce and a half for extended periods, just flat wears me out. I much prefer soft plastics anyway.