Evil-Bay

Favorite Tins

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

What are everyone's favorite tin when. Blues/Bass are around?

I'm sure most would say the diamond jig with a tube trailer.  Although those jigs work really well, I find the krocadile tin works great for me.  They way this tin flutters in the water while retrieving is great.

IMG_20210503_162859.jpg

Depends on so much, most Tins that are used by Surf Fishermen (Hopkins-Kastmaster-Crocodiles) and the like are used by Freshwater Fishermen as jigging spoons vertically. The Hopkins performed best for me but for shear numbers nothing could ever match the Eva Diamond Jig. 

I think Kastmaster for me. I like the Crocodile as well but because of the cupped shape, it sometimes catches the wind and ends up away from where I intended to cast

Different days different applications,back bay when the peanuts are around Kastmaster,on the ocean with a rough surf Charlie Graves,in the fall when sand eels are around Diamond jig,surf on calm days Hopkins Shorty,

Probably nothing more durable than a stainless Hopkins.

I don’t think they can wear out.

Ava’s and Kastmasters are great but their chrome gets damaged by teeth and impact with rocks.

Still, I have old Ava’s that are missing much  chrome but still catch well.

Blues, for me, tend to hit the shortest deadly dicks the best. I try to use wire and swap out the treble for a single. But if you get cut off, still not like losing a plug. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, jimmy z said:

Real tin squids:howdy:

Yes.  

One of my new found favorites of yesteryear is the wobbly fixed hook eel jigs.  Especially the ones that are 3/4oz and less.  Even more if they're made of tin. 

I'm still searching for a mold so I can pour my own.  

My next step is a homemade mold.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Had a few days last year where the Crippled Herring was the most productive lure in my bag. Going to start bringing more tins with me this year as I'll be fishing from a sandy beach a lot.

Screenshot_20210515-094045_Chrome.jpg