RI Fish Report Blog. May 15 - May 22

Rate this topic

On 5/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, Chris76 said:

To me the biggest reason to use light braid is drag resistance when drifting. Lighter braid doesn't scope out nearly as much as 30 to 50lb. You can keep your jig vertical much easier. I use 15lb but am thinking of going to 10lb next time I need to refill spool. I have no fear of braid breaking while fishing for fluke and sea bass. Stripers and tog are a different story

I’ve caught keeper togs on 6lb sufix at the walls. No problem. Just gotta finesse a little. But I only fish jigs not rigs when I do that. Can’t fish jigs with heavy line. It just feels weird and too much play from wind and current/drift

A little late on the report. On Sunday afternoon on the vessels maiden voyage. Decided to fish mid bay in the afternoon. Wanted to try my new trolling setup. It was around noon time threw a troll in deeper waters and within 5 minutes my 8 year old daughter hooks onto her first 40” Bass! It took her 10 minutes of fighting and Dad to help her hold the pole but she did it! Not a bad way to start the season! This fatty was successfully released! 

E360C86D-12B5-410D-B811-8C523A2A3C31.jpeg