Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 15 - May 22

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Fished a historically high percentage spot, found mostly dead water and lots of weeds/algae. Managed 2 small fish. Really weird spring.

9 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Hulk smashed. Landed my first keeper of the season but donated my new SP minnow to a nicer keeper that snapped my 6lb test right in front of me. Bite slowed down a bit but I’m waiting for another lol

532167FE-6417-4733-AED0-BD18CDA624CB.jpeg

why in the world are you fishing with 6lb test?

4 hours ago, xjclint said:

6lb test. Going for a line class record? Or is it 6lb braid to cast a mile?

Just to be clear, not criticizing. Just curious. 

It’s all they had. It’s my fluking rod. I’ve landed bluefish up to 33” on it easy. This one just happen to do too many alligator death rolls and ran towards a rock pile and cut me off. Didn’t expect anything decent since all I been getting was rats and the occasion sub-legal. Went over to my Z real quick after that lol

2 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

why in the world are you fishing with 6lb test?

No 10lb test sufix 832 available at the time I bought the setup and this was my fluking setup

58 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

No 10lb test sufix 832 available at the time I bought the setup and this was my fluking setup

I’ll continue the questions.

Why in the world do you want only 10lb test for fluke?

25 mins ago, fishinbill said:

Please give it a rest. All this second guessing does is convince people that there's no point in posting reports here.

I second that motion that we keep our focus on fish reports!

3 hours ago, z-man said:

I’ll continue the questions.

Why in the world do you want only 10lb test for fluke?

Why not?  I've been using 8 lb fireline for fluke for years. They aren't the strongest fish around...

I was catching at least 3 schoolies per outing, from shore, on streamer / clouser flies until the jelly fish arrived.  Now there are schools of bunker moving around.  Today, I fished a mid to lower bay spot where there is a nice point and a wall, from my buddy's boat.  We caught several 6-8 pound bluefish on the fly rod, using a fly that copies a squid.  I forgot how hard a decent blue fights on the fly rod.  The first blue bit through the 30 pound flourocarbon bite leader I was using.  Once the wind kicked up by 10am it was tough to stand on the bow and cast the fly rod so we called it quits. 

5 hours ago, Kima said:

Why not?  I've been using 8 lb fireline for fluke for years. They aren't the strongest fish around...

I don’t want to lose a nice fish due to a line failure. I have 30 and 50lb power pro on my bottom fishing rods. 

On 5/19/2021 at 6:55 PM, LockedDrag said:

I been fishing one particular spot and pounding it pretty hard the past week. All bass. All night into morning. No blues. Surface activity nonstop all night. The further you cast out the bigger they get. Lost a couple nice ones

You are the one successful guy here, what is your secret? What are you fishing with?

Great first trip to salt after messing around in fresh water. I was expecting some schooling bass but three casts in a get a big hit on an Allie snax which I thought was a bass but was a good size blue fish. Switch lure to a ranger with single and had non stop action for at least 1.5 hours. All bluefish around 8 to 10lb with fat bellies. One tiny bass and one sea Robbin. 

15lb power pro 25lb big game mono leader. No cutoffs. 

Sakonnet river.

Tried south newport. Tangled with one fish that felt 27” ish. 
first time out in a while. Remember why it’s so wonderful. Peace and quiet, perfect temp and always fun to just be out there. 

10 hours ago, z-man said:

I don’t want to lose a nice fish due to a line failure. I have 30 and 50lb power pro on my bottom fishing rods. 

I've never once broken off a fluke or sea bass. I think you're giving them too much credit.