Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 15 - May 22

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Disappointing day on the bay today, despite good weather conditions.

Splashed at 5:30am at dead low tide. Lots of stagnate water, covered with pollen in all the coves.

Headed out to open, deeper water looking for some surface blitzes to materialize.

We found nothing and covered a lot of miles from Upper Narragansett Bay, to the lower Providence River, including Mount Hope Bay.

To calm, not much current flow, lack of wind, no dynamics to speak of. We ended with 5 school size bass for six hours of fishing.

One interesting observation, both pogy boats were in the bay today, all the way up to Conimicut Light.

I was under the contention that they couldn't drop their nets till the State declared there was enough bi-mass of bunker around.

We found no sign what so ever of any schools of bunker any where.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Capt. I watched the "Big Blue Boat" take five full hauls of bunker schools Monday with another five ready for the taking in the upper bay...sickening! Nothing but bluefish for me...

7 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

One interesting observation, both pogy boats were in the bay today, all the way up to Conimicut Light.

I was under the contention that they couldn't drop their nets till the State declared there was enough bi-mass of bunker around.

RIDEM opened the Narragansett Bay Menhaden Management Area as of May 17....the biomass in the Bay is above the 2.5 million pound threshhold...all this info is regularly reported on the RIDEM Listserver

Edited by makaha

11 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Splashed at 5:30am at dead low tide. Lots of stagnate water, covered with pollen in all the coves.

Headed out to open, deeper water looking for some surface blitzes to materialize.

We found nothing and covered a lot of miles from Upper Narragansett Bay, to the lower Providence River, including Mount Hope Bay.

To calm, not much current flow, lack of wind, no dynamics to speak of. We ended with 5 school size bass for six hours of fishing.

The state announced last week opened up menhaden fishing yesterday.

Edited by MakoMike

12 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

It's funny I find fishing sucked yesterday too. Only a few schoolies hit also. Zero ground fish to be found after sun up. Wind? Moon/tide? messing things up?

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

The state announced last week opened up menhaden fishing yesterday.

I have been searching for bait balls for the last two weeks up past the red bridge to prudence and I haven't found them. Atleast they did, but man when will they figure out if you remove the bait we'll have less fish.

Fished the bay for 2 hours last night and accumulated one hit, which was most definitely a bluefish as I saw one caught moments before. The from shore striped bass bite in the bay has been pretty underwhelming so far, especially when compared to this stage of the spring in years past. 

Is this a sign of the declining fishery? Has the large migration of bass just not reached there yet? And YES I know some people in boats are getting them but....boat fish don't count. 

41 mins ago, Peelin' Drag said:

Fished the bay for 2 hours last night and accumulated one hit, which was most definitely a bluefish as I saw one caught moments before. The from shore striped bass bite in the bay has been pretty underwhelming so far, especially when compared to this stage of the spring in years past. 

Is this a sign of the declining fishery? Has the large migration of bass just not reached there yet? And YES I know some people in boats are getting them but....boat fish don't count. 

I felt they are very spotty this spring. It's not wide spread where they use to when they show up in spring. If you catch the right moon/tide/day/wind, they will be found. This has been like that since mid-April.

49 mins ago, Peelin' Drag said:

I agree fully, i have been fishing less due to too many other commitments but spots i used to be able to pop in and catch a few are not producing.  I generally prefer from end of may/june on as fish start to settle into more predictable patterns. I think we are starting to see the affects of reduced bio mass of bass, plus i am sure there are other seasonal factors.  We get waves of fish with big spaces in between. 

Fished Sunday by boat.  Searched for pogies all over the mid bay.  Nothing.

Went to a favorite bottom fishing spot and caught one small black sea bass.

Tons of people toggin but we were lazy and didn't feel like dealing with the anchor all day.

I didn't see one fish caught by anyone, nor did anyone at the dock report a catch.

Boat ran great.

My wife says I never catch squat in May and she is right, but I didn't have to listen to her all day.

It's early.  

Skipping this weekend I think.

Good luck

8 hours ago, Kooky said:

I think we are starting to see the affects of reduced bio mass of bass, plus i am sure there are other seasonal factors.  We get waves of fish with big spaces in between. 

Interesting how schoolies may be denser and more available 100+ miles to the north, from NE MA into southern ME.  They don't always migrate in a step by step geographic fashion, do they? Often seems some waves blow right by certain areas. Or a school stops in to feed for one tide today, then adios tomorrow

I been fishing one particular spot and pounding it pretty hard the past week. All bass. All night into morning. No blues. Surface activity nonstop all night. The further you cast out the bigger they get. Lost a couple nice ones