Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. May 15 - May 22

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today at our disposal. 

Fishing should start picking up now with new migrations of fish and bait appearing on the ocean and bay.

Maybe too we can break this cold spell and very windy conditions of last week?

That would greatly help. Since fishing will improve, lets make this all about fishing and no other distracting issues.

I'll let last weeks thread play out, since there is only a day left.

If you have a rant, start your own thread separately, keep this strictly fish reports.

Thank you.....

skunk in the bay around sunset with my youngest.  Sea Robins have invaded the bay. Plenty of silversides or other small bait around.  Been a bit of a tedious spring for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Kooky said:

skunk in the bay around sunset with my youngest.  Sea Robins have invaded the bay. Plenty of silversides or other small bait around.  Been a bit of a tedious spring for me.

I encounter the sea robin too... they are BIG. No flounder or scup to be found except skate and sea robin. Some were seen just swimming off the beach edge like no one cares......

Saw rain baits (not sure, they are very tiny) and some bigger bait in groups of 20s (8" dark color).

Also saw few different togs cruising around the edge of where we were fishing. Very interesting sight.

Edited by foxfai

5 mins ago, foxfai said:

I encounter the sea robin too... they are BIG. No flounder or scup to be found except skate and sea robin. Some were seen just swimming off the beach edge like no one cares......

Saw rain baits (not sure, they are very tiny) and some bigger bait in groups of 20s (8" dark color).

Also saw few different togs cruising around the edge of where we were fishing. Very interesting sight.

Keep saying i am going to keep a couple sea robins to eat, i hear they are good eating. I seem to run into them when i dont want to deal with keeping and cleaning them or they are too small to be worth the effort.

The Sea Robins are getting big enough in general to where a couple could be a meal. The tail up to just behind the dorsal fin is tasty.

14 mins ago, Kooky said:

Keep saying i am going to keep a couple sea robins to eat, i hear they are good eating. I seem to run into them when i dont want to deal with keeping and cleaning them or they are too small to be worth the effort.

They are actually easy to clean with the break neck rip skin off method. Get a few and you'll have a meal. Tastes similar to seabass if you properly kept it.

Been kind of a weird spring in the bay for me. Seems like the bass never really showed up in numbers or size. Night bite isn't really there either. Usually by now I've picked a couple slot+ sized fish. I got into a decent top water gator bite the last couple days so that was fun. 

5 hours ago, ArcticRanger said:

Been kind of a weird spring in the bay for me. Seems like the bass never really showed up in numbers or size. Night bite isn't really there either. Usually by now I've picked a couple slot+ sized fish. I got into a decent top water gator bite the last couple days so that was fun. 

Gator bite in the upper bay? I usually don’t see much action in the bay until last week of may but maybe that’s just me. 

Went to the same place as the night before. Same story. Straight slay. Weightless fluke got super small rats and a spook all night had some nicer hits. Dawn bite was on fire. Ran to one of the walls after and skunked as hard as can skunk lol but tog bite was on fire. Poachers got caught with a load of short togs too even though I gave them my 2 keeper togs

Fished So Co Friday morning thru Saturday afternoon, with big gaps in mid day.

Both mornings, gorgeous, pleasant weather, flat calm, nice sunrise. 

Decent action with blues both mornings at first light till maybe 8:00. Was nice before the breeze riffled up. It was calm enough to see blues finning on top. Absolutely instant hit if you dropped a plug into them.

Went out after dark Friday night briefly but exhaustion and googans drove us to our tents after only a couple schoolies.

Saturday morning died quicker but they were there at first light. 

We did a tour midmorning, east to west,  checked the usual suspects, dead all around. 

Finally returned to the first spot in the afternoon and got into a nice flurry of better sized blues. We had to hit the road, had to leave em biting. It was a circus by then anyway. 

20210515_151858.jpg

IMG_20210515_215741_411.jpg

IMG_20210515_205027_056.jpg

IMG_20210515_215651_054.jpg

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Decent action with blues both mornings at first light till maybe 8:00. Was nice before the breeze riffled up. It was calm enough to see blues finning on top. Absolutely instant hit if you dropped a plug into them.

Had blues lazily finning on top as well for me a few mornings back. The schools were slow moving dark blobs and easily visible in the calm waters of dawn. They were not outwardly attacking bait, at least not with surface splashes and bait spraying. When the blobs moved within casting range, so long as my pencil hit within 40 feet of the blob it was immediately set upon. 

21 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Went to the same place as the night before. Same story. Straight slay. Weightless fluke got super small rats and a spook all night had some nicer hits. Dawn bite was on fire. Ran to one of the walls after and skunked as hard as can skunk lol but tog bite was on fire. Poachers got caught with a load of short togs too even though I gave them my 2 keeper togs

Why would you give fish to poachers?

46 mins ago, z-man said:

Why would you give fish to poachers?

Well I didn’t know they were poaching til they started catching. I was every cast before anyone caught anything.