TJ2021

Porgies in the Sound

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

someone posted on the notmetv today landing porgies from shore.  I'm on the other side in CT but I will tell you it was HIGHLY recognizable where he was fishing

Yes, they're there. Just try it at high tide in one of the known spots. hi lo rig, clams or sandworms. Cast as far as you can from the beach. Not that hard to catch one if they are there...

Carpniels

Posted (edited) · Report post

To catch a porgies you will need to have a boat and go to Martha's Vineyards

Although, everybody knows, best porgie's action is always on the 2nd night of the fool moon on the west side in Montauk.

That is the only place to catch porgies from the shore.

Edited by Popasilov

10 mins ago, Popasilov said:

To catch a porgies you will need to have a boat and go to Martha's Vineyards

Although, everybody knows, best porgie's action is always on the 2nd night of the fool moon on the west side in Montauk.

That is the only place to catch porgies from the shore.

I thought it was in the private neighborhoods in the hamptons with the dead end streets. 

the residents are beyond nice and welcoming to us fishing for porgy and taking ****s on their nice sod.

heck, I call all of the cousins down to blast mariachi and smash longnecks on walkways.

Edited by GarbageFish

Sounds like Popasilov and Garbage fish are janking our chain. There are plenty of porgies around in the sound. Every evening there are dozens if not hundreds of our hispanic friends fishing from shore at a large state park and they catch plenty of porgies.  That's where I'll be catching them too as soon this weekend. However, I've never been able to catch any on the south shore....

Thanks - Carpniels

We used to catch them from shore and thick in the back of Sore thumb and casting out into the cove during incoming.  I never catch any there any more, not sure where they all went.  Now it is mostly small blowfish and kingfish.  We used to also catch tons of Seabass and some porgies closer to the front where all the boulders are on the outgoing.  The rocks up front are basically unfishable now at any tide.  Also where there used to be deep drops and cuts for black fishing and night striper but now they are all gone and filled up with sand.

Edited by Ajhugh

This Wednesday past, a friend and I fished the Celtic Quest for about 40 decent fish. A few were re markably large. They were not N of Port Jeff, they were off Shoreham.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:00 PM, BrianBM said:

This Wednesday past, a friend and I fished the Celtic Quest for about 40 decent fish. A few were remarkably large. They were not N of Port Jeff, they were off Shoreham.

I wonder what it is about that stretch of beach off the NS where the Celtic boats always anchor.  From the location/topo maps it looks unremarkable.  But clearly the porgies love the area or the Celtic fleet wouldn't spend the fuel to trek there every day (sometimes multiple times per day).  There must be some defining feature on the bottom that draws the fish. Any guesses?

Not a clue.  I know how to cut baits very small, keep the rod up, and react to the slightest tap. That is the end of my knowledge of things porgy.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:45 AM, BrianBM said:

cut baits very small, keep the rod up, and react to the slightest tap.

BrianBM,

You are a porgy genius! AFAIK, that is exactly everything you need to know for catching porgies. That's how most of the Hispanics fish. I fish two rods so I don't keep it in my hand. So I miss the first taps. But that doesn't matter, because they always come back for a second bite and then I get them. Or they hook themselved bcz I fish 2 oz weight and they're to weak to move that weight, so it sets the hook automatically.

Thanks - Carpniels

17 hours ago, Carpniels said:

BrianBM,

You are a porgy genius! AFAIK, that is exactly everything you need to know for catching porgies. That's how most of the Hispanics fish. I fish two rods so I don't keep it in my hand. So I miss the first taps. But that doesn't matter, because they always come back for a second bite and then I get them. Or they hook themselved bcz I fish 2 oz weight and they're to weak to move that weight, so it sets the hook automatically.

Thanks - Carpniels

I agree they always come back.  The one problem I found, though, is that if you don't set the hook on the first tap the fish often gets gut-hooked, which is a huge bummer if the fish is small and you want to throw it back.  A quick hook set basically eliminates the gut-hooking problem.  But maybe using a heavier sinker if you're dead-sticking also works.  I may give that a try.