Ditchbag

Frost

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I had to bag mine a few times this spring but they are doing well. I hope this is the end of the frost. 

Why the rush to put 'maters in so early? You guys have a short growing season and early winter?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I grow primarily heirloom varieties and they are inclined to take longer to mature than common market tomatoes like early girl,rutgers,big/better boy etc.I tend not to plant till end of May.

Cold weather does damage to the roots and the plant expends energy regrowing what got killed by cold soils.

I also plant in two cycles to extend the season...2-3 weeks later can  get you a month+ more in the end.

They do not bear earlier when you plant early,that has more to do w/ night-time temps and what variety you plant.

Edited by slip n slide

18 hours ago, slip n slide said:

I grow primarily heirloom varieties and they are inclined to take longer to mature than common market tomatoes like early girl,rutgers,big/better boy etc.I tend not to plant till end of May.

Cold weather does damage to the roots and the plant expends energy regrowing what got killed by cold soils.

I also plant in two cycles to extend the season...2-3 weeks later can  get you a month+ more in the end.

They do not bear earlier when you plant early,that has more to do w/ night-time temps and what variety you plant.

Tell me more, please.

Do you grow from seeds?

Will this work if I start with plants I bought? I Planted half a dozen plants last night. If I purchase more in a few weeks, and plant, will that work? Or does it need to be done with seeds started a few weeks later?

Do i sound nuts?  lol

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

20210513_093334.jpg.6fd84ab55310be50efcd68fa49cf16e7.jpgso far so good    earliest I have ever started them  

You use the lighter to keep them warm?     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4 hours ago, Finster said:

Tell me more, please.

Do you grow from seeds?

Will this work if I start with plants I bought? I Planted half a dozen plants last night. If I purchase more in a few weeks, and plant, will that work? Or does it need to be done with seeds started a few weeks later?

Do i sound nuts?  lol

You're right on track,just don't plant too soon.Mine are not out yet as the heirlooms are esp picky abut enough heat

Yes,I grow from seed but some greenhouses specialize in the heirlooms so you may be able to find soil-ready seedlings.

No need for two seed cycles,just don't plant all at once from the flat you raised them in,just save some for a couple weeks later.

Nothing special about growing other'n keep the watering consistent so they don't crack,esp the Russians/blacks and Brandywines.

Old German/pineapple is a very easy one and heavy/reliable yielder

The heirlooms mature later than hybrid tomatoes but it's sooo worth the wait!

I have a greenhouse where I work so I've got all year to fool around w/ growing tomatoes.You can start in Jan,have it set fruit by April but they won't ripen till the nights are in the 70's later on in summer.

There are commercial varieties I can grow all winter as they are not day-length sensitive but most garden varieties are not like that.

4 hours ago, Lucky said:

20210513_093334.jpg.6fd84ab55310be50efcd68fa49cf16e7.jpgso far so good    earliest I have ever started them  

healthy lookin plants.....pinch those sucker sprouts outta the leaf axils,takes energy away from main growth

a tomato produces X amount fruit, but it will be comprised of larger individual fruits if you keep the suckers pinched out,you can have 100 1/4lb fruit or 25 1lb fruit

Do any of you guys successfully get early tomatoes without a greenhouse? It seems like no matter when I start seeds or how big my plants are they all start to ripen at the same time and then usually all keep producing until it starts to get cold at night. 

3 hours ago, slip n slide said:

healthy lookin plants.....pinch those sucker sprouts outta the leaf axils,takes energy away from main growth

a tomato produces X amount fruit, but it will be comprised of larger individual fruits if you keep the suckers pinched out,you can have 100 1/4lb fruit or 25 1lb fruit

good call   thanks  I was sleeping on that