DaveC

Installing ceiling fan box with blown in insulation.

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

It appears to be cellulose.  It is really deep and there is no access to the area above. Has anyone cut out drywall and not had a disastrous mess doing so? I have done some searches and most people say to vacuum it all away and discard it. That is not an option as I cannot physically get above it. I thought of using furring strips to support the drywalll as I cut it out and push it straight up like you would an acoustical tile. Anyone actually done this?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've installed many boxes in ceilings with blown in insulation, just not for a fan. What I did was to trace the box on a piece of scrap wood or drywall and cover with an oversize piece of vapor barrier. Cut the box in ceiling and slide cutout piece out of the way while sliding scrap/vapor barrier into the void left by removing original drywall after using the vapor barrier like a glove to move insulation to the sides. Push scrap piece/vapor barrier into hole then tape edges of vapor barrier to ceiling using painter's tape to prevent any blown-in insulation from making a mess, remove and discard scrap piece, install and secure new box and trim vapor barrier as necessary

Edited by SC

7 hours ago, SC said:

I've installed many boxes in ceilings with blown in insulation, just not for a fan. What I did was to trace the box on a piece of scrap wood or drywall and cover with an oversize piece of vapor barrier. Cut the box in ceiling and slide cutout piece out of the way while sliding scrap/vapor barrier into the void left by removing original drywall after using the vapor barrier like a glove to move insulation to the sides. Push scrap piece/vapor barrier into hole then tape edges of vapor barrier to ceiling using painter's tape to prevent any blown-in insulation from making a mess, remove and discard scrap piece, install and secure new box and trim vapor barrier as necessary

Steve, I have to cut out joist to joist for box mounting.  I guess I can trying the furring strip idea that I had as I am not sure that i can do the vapor barrier and cut out that much.  Thanks for the tip.

5 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

b.jpg

5 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

53731.jpg

Doesn't help with the brackets for the fan box.  I own a whole kit of those.  I am not drilling.  I am cutting out a 2 foot section of rock as you would to install the fan bracket.

Edited by DaveC

How heavy is the fan?   I’ve used old work fan boxes with supports that are good for 30-35lbs.  I’m sure it would be easier cutting less Sheetrock 

Old work fan box only needs a hole the size of box. Really no reason to cut and patch a big hole.

There used to be a bracket that was threaded so you could span the joists by tightening it.

You could do i the through the hole cut for the box.

I haven't needed one for a while but it was a good idea.

4 mins ago, jmlandru said:

There used to be a bracket that was threaded so you could span the joists by tightening it.

You could do i the through the hole cut for the box.

I haven't needed one for a while but it was a good idea.

Still available :th:

1 hour ago, ted527 said:

Still available :th:

Yep-  used them a few times.  Pins embed themselves on the studs once you spin them out.  Old work ceiling fan box.

I think he is installing a fa, like a bathroom fan. Not a fan box for a ceiling fan. That’s how I read this. I say cut the hole push it up. Insulation will fall you will just need to deal with it. Should be a mess but that’s expected.

40 mins ago, Wfmdfm1 said:

I think he is installing a fa, like a bathroom fan. Not a fan box for a ceiling fan. That’s how I read this. I say cut the hole push it up. Insulation will fall you will just need to deal with it. Should be a mess but that’s expected.

If he can’t get above it how’s he running exhaust?

10 hours ago, Wfmdfm1 said:

then no box needed.  the fan has its own junction and mounts between the joists.

Edited by coolhandfluke