stripefromshore

1/2 -2oz 10ft cabelas blanks extended to 11'

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I recently converted a cone of flight build to a k guide set up , extended the butt , moved the reel seat and turned a 10ft 1/2-2oz rod into a 11 ft rod. I am impressed with  the difference in casting performance .  I built another rod from a blank with the exact set up . These are the old green cabelas IM6 graphite blanks .  This was well worth the effort to gain 70ft  casting distance . The rods load completely different .I caught a couple 20s last year by reaching fish I could previously not hit.  I would never build another cone of flight set up unless I was going to sell it to someone i didn't like

I’m getting a measured 100-115 yards out of a cabellas 12foot salt striker Thats at least 10 years old from a basic standing cast ....these rods are worth the money...are they tournament casters, no but it will hold its own on the beach 

On 5/12/2021 at 0:33 AM, stripefromshore said:

I recently converted a cone of flight build to a k guide set up , extended the butt , moved the reel seat and turned a 10ft 1/2-2oz rod into a 11 ft rod. ... This was well worth the effort to gain 70ft  casting distance ...

Excellent! I am about to rewrap a similar old blank. What guides did you use? and what is the distance from the butt to the center of the reel seat?

Posted (edited) · Report post

18" to real seat center  1.5" delrin butt cap not included in the 18" measurement  . K guides 25 16 8H and 8,s out to the end . I wrapped the blank at the extension with kevlar fly tying thread before epoxying the extension  in place with about 5"  inside the original blank . I used the 27x system to find the choke point . Carbon fiber tubing for the butt .  Hope you have good luck with the rebuild
I fish mostly 3/8--3/4 oz swim baits and jigs due to shallow water on the Coosa river system so an extra 70 feet on the 3/4 swim bait was a nice surprise. I use salmon steelhead rods in medium light and 3/8- 1 oz when they are running one turbine .  I extend the butts to 16" which will make a 10.6" rod into an 11 foot rod. Just extending the butts on those light rods also makes a big difference in your leverage point and ability to load the blank , which adds distance to the cast.

Edited by stripefromshore