SaltChaser

LI Blues

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

The blues didn’t really make an appearance last year. We get them back and there is a complete onslaught going on since they popped up. Time for some regulation yet?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ya, you'd think some people would handle them better seeing as they're considered vulnerable to extinction. 

Edited by liambrouillette

15 mins ago, liambrouillette said:

Ya, you'd think some people would handle them better seeing as they're considered vulnerable to extinction. 

Nope they’d rather drag them up onto the sand and pose for Instagram and YouTube videos 

It's crazy how the NE considers Blues a disposable fish while you watch people in Australia or even down in FL catching what we call cocktail size get all excited when they hook them. We get big Gators who put up a big fight (probably the best we can get up here without going offshore) and idiots grind them up for "dog food" or still think they are the bountiful unending searobins of the old days. 

Up here in Maine we look forward to the blues, Almost all of us who fish the sand or flats almost never walk out of the water to beach a fish. Getting them on my fly rod is awesome, as exhilarating as a Steelhead! No big numbers they do come, mostly around pogy time.Most of the time the angler is not prepared to handle/un hook a blue so they beached and a foot put on them!:banghd:

Agreed on awful releasing techniques, fish are kept out of the water way to long trying to unhook because of the use of treble hooks, photos, etc...and the killer for me is watching fisherman actually kicking the fish back into the surf, its painful to watch.

And what would happen if we walked up to the person kicking the fish back into the water....i could only imagine what that would lead to.

Fishing the beach side of a well known jetty this past weekend. As it filled up with inexperienced guys casting into 3 feet of water over my line I moved up to the jetty rather than cutting every line that came my way. Now this is when you know things are bad - there was a guy there with a gaff pulling the fish out of the crevices between the rocks making sure that people took the fish that were being taken from the water with no consideration, don’t fish if you can’t unhook and release a fish properly. I was asked for the fish I was catching several times, laughed said GTFOH and released my fish. The reality is, we don’t have a whole lot to catch from the surf here. I would hate to see less. 

9 hours ago, SaltChaser said:

The blues didn’t really make an appearance last year. We get them back and there is a complete onslaught going on since they popped up. Time for some regulation yet?

I mean, they just decreased the bag limit significantly last season. Unfortunately, that won’t stop the pricks like the guy you mentioned gaffing everyones bluefish. If you see anyone with more than 3, call the DEC.

27 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I mean, they just decreased the bag limit significantly last season. Unfortunately, that won’t stop the pricks like the guy you mentioned gaffing everyones bluefish. If you see anyone with more than 3, call the DEC.

He actually wasn’t fishing, he went home to get a gaff to grab the fish from between the rocks so they didn’t rot down there. Gave them to the guys who were looking to keep fish. Maybe I will call on the next scummer who has a garbage bag full of fish. 

anyone can catch a bluefish,this father son duo were casting 007s with spinning reels upside down, retrieving them at mach3 nailing blues.

Another time I saw a white guy with little kids using a toboggan to drag 15+ blues for an hour walk back to parking lot in June sun.

Agree that it's hard to believe people don't appreciate these fish for sport or food, and now for their dwindling stock status. If you'd have told me a decade ago that blues would be on the down turn, I'd never have believed it.  Some of my best memories since I was a kid are cocktail blues saving the day and providing a smoker full of delicious snacks for the next fishing trip. They are awesome fish that deserve more respect.

That said, a lot of newbs or persistent ding dongs out there just don't know how to handle fish because no one has ever showed them (or they never thought to care). People are occasionally receptive to advice if you handle it right, e.g. not being dogmatic about it. I wouldn't hesitate to call the warden if someone is just being an a hole, though.

Jones beach years ago the Park Workers were filling up plastic garbage pails with other peoples fish, while on the clock and using the park trucks

Harsher penalties, confiscate equipment,  second offense forfeiture 30 days drivers license.  End of story, we can all fish in peace and enjoy our day on the water.

I like gators,they bring a smile to my face when I see them around.

Nothing dull at first light with them!

Hope they show up good this year,caught 2 12 inches last year and none for 5 years before that.

HH