What are you looking for

Rate this topic

8 & Bait

How well they hold in current. Roll out, exaggerated motion, Amount of roll, retrieval rate, etc..l

How easily the plug fowls is something I really look for.  Some Metal lips tend to fowl a lot, others not so much.  It’s just the design of the plug.  The casters experience can also have a lot to do with this.  A straight overhead cast will cause the plug to tumble less than if you side lob it over your shoulder.

Versatility, how many situations am I going to use this in?

The LAST thing I’d look for is casting distance.  Can’t catch a fish on a plug if it doesn’t work.  

Why aren’t you fishing?

1 min ago, t_man7 said:

How well they hold in current. Roll out, exaggerated motion, Amount of roll, retrieval rate, etc..l

How easily the plug fowls is something I really look for.  Some Metal lips tend to fowl a lot, others not so much.  It’s just the design of the plug.  The casters experience can also have a lot to do with this.  A straight overhead cast will cause the plug to tumble less than if you side lob it over your shoulder.

The LAST thing I’d look for is casting distance.  Can’t catch a fish on a plug if it doesn’t work.  

I find that a lot of the plugs I have become "exaggerated" when fished in current versus still water. What do you mean by exaggerated?

6 mins ago, 8 & Bait said:

I find that a lot of the plugs I have become "exaggerated" when fished in current versus still water. What do you mean by exaggerated?

Exactly that, for metal lips exaggerated motion tends to be with mid cut lip slots, as they catch more water than a slot cut above center.  But weighting also has a lot to do with it.  It’s also good to tinker with split rings versus cut hooks, as the lower weight a split ring provides can alter the action.  It also adds a small amount of weight.

Why aren’t you fishing?

22 hours ago, t_man7 said:

T-man, so much knowledge for a 14 year old  hahaha

From what I've seen stability and consistency at both ends of the retrieve speed spectrum (super slow and fast) does play a role in the plugs that really get me going. The other is the fact that most plugs alternate between two main swimming actions, one you you see in something like a redfin and the other more like a darter. If the plug can transition between those two "modes" smoothly I like what I see. Also to consider is what the plug does when stopped before it returns to a state of rest. A lot of the super star plugs I've seen tend to shimmy / swim back up. Kind of like someone whos been on a long drive and stretches/loosens up when they stand up at a highway rest stop.

On 5/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, Sparky said:

I'm looking for sexy. I can't explain it, but I know when I see it.

Can't go wrong with that.

I also like a plug that has that certain swing, at fairly slow retrieves, I feel more connected to the plug when the rod tip is dancing and the line is just a little tight

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

What I want in a surface swimmer is different in what I want in a subsurface swimmer and different from what I want in a needlefish and still different from what I want in a darter.  

Out of everything and all aspects of how a plug swims, the most tangible aspect to how productive a plug may be comes down to it's buoyancy in the water.  Achieving the proper buoyancy for the action desired is important in achieving the action with as natural a flow possible.  

A swimmer with too much buoyancy for the purpose of it's use, or too little...may have great action by the angler's eye but fail at catching consistently.  

Think of bucktailing, you know how to choose the proper jig based on water movement at hand, hair thickness and head weight all play a roll in getting the right flow and the same goes for a metal lip or needle or darter.  If buoyancy dosnt complement the plug's intended use, then more often than not the action wont be what you expected or desired.

Edited by DeepBlue85