fishfinder401

Boyant tail clouser

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with tying a clouser varient where the tail is boyant so that when it sinks will nose dive and then sit on the bottom somewhat standing on it's nose.

I tried tying a few today with 2 different foam tails and a small one with a poly yarn body, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experimented with this in the past. I feel like it could be especially deadly for freshwater bass.

Sounds like you're trying to tie a "Ned" fly.  I've tied one using a material called "Predator 9 Worm" soft chenille for Bass I ordered from Feathercraft.  Interesting material.  I've made one up that I'm going to try next week.  I twisted a couple of pieces of the material together and it came out about the same diameter and length as one of  Z-MAN 2.75" Finesse TRD soft plastics they use for the Ned rig.  Got it as close a Green Pumpkin color as I could with permanent markers.  I cheated a bit and ordered some 1/20 oz jigs they use for the Ned rig.  They're lighter than some Clousers I've tied up. I'll let you know if it works.

What about corsair tubing type fly with lead wrapped around the shank at the eye and then foam tied in at the bend and extending rearward. All of this inside the tubing and then tie something like marabou for the tail to give it a little bit of movement?

Burrowing sand eel fly might be a good search on the internet for this. 

I took a strip of 4mm craft foam and put that on the bend of a clouser. Didn't take a huge amount of foam to make the fly sit on the bottom bend up. But it didn't look that great--bucktail kind of spread way out. 

those are

On 5/11/2021 at 10:19 PM, Philly said:

Sounds like you're trying to tie a "Ned" fly.  I've tied one using a material called "Predator 9 Worm" soft chenille for Bass I ordered from Feathercraft.  Interesting material.  I've made one up that I'm going to try next week.  I twisted a couple of pieces of the material together and it came out about the same diameter and length as one of  Z-MAN 2.75" Finesse TRD soft plastics they use for the Ned rig.  Got it as close a Green Pumpkin color as I could with permanent markers.  I cheated a bit and ordered some 1/20 oz jigs they use for the Ned rig.  They're lighter than some Clousers I've tied up. I'll let you know if it works.

now that material sounds promising! and yeah the action of a ned rig as partly the inspiration.

and thanks for the input, these have all been great idea

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bet crayfish or crab flies could be a helpful place to research this concept. Somebody's got to have come up with a imitation for those that rears up in a defensive stance. I was watching Ned rig videos and that gave me the idea. 

One other thing--it could be the case that buoyant hair will just hinge on the hook leaving the hook shank on bottom rather than sitting vertically like these Ned Rigs do. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Try furling some floating yarn - will make a stout body very similar to a Ned Rig.

I'd say add a puff of marabou but that might be too much action...

Try adding a zip tie on the dumbbell eyes.  Like shown here,  except facing the other direction. That way you can get them right below or slightly ahead of the line tie.  Might also help to find a hook with a vertical eye.  Maybe tie on a jig hook.