guitaristgene

Question about tipping guides - freshwater drift trip

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

I've taken many charters in saltwater in the Keys, Costa Rica, elsewhere and usually count on tipping the captain 20% (and if there is a mate, 10% - 15%). This is related to a freshwater drift trip however. I will be returning for the third year to an area in southern Wyoming to fish the North Platte. For the previous two years I've booked drift trips (full day, by myself) and enjoyed fantastic fly fishing for big trout. In all cases - a total of four drifts - the cost was $500 for the day, about 6 - 7 hours on the river and I tipped my usual 20%, i.e., $100. Was that reasonable? Too little? I ask because I'm trying to book two trips through the same shop for this coming September and in spite of emails and messages via their Facebook page with my request I have not heard back from them. This is strange because they got right back to me before. I doubt they are fully booked as they have 4 or 5 guides working out of the shop and the time I'm going is past "prime time." I'm hoping I haven't been branded a bad tipper and that's why they are not getting back to me! FWIW, I got along great with the three different guides I've used, I think I'm about as low maintenance as they could hope for, I'm a pretty decent caster and fisherman (I think), and in each case gave them a great write up on Trip Advisor. I guess the next step is calling them - d'uh - but I just wanted to know if anyone here has had a similar experience or am I just being paranoid?! I hope not..... I truly did really have a great experience before. Thanks

$100 is a very generous tip.  I doubt you've been branded a bad tipper.  Of course, a good tip will not make up for egregiously bad behavior, but you seem like a respectful person.

I'm going to guess they're simply not very techno-savvy.

48 mins ago, JCH said:

$100 is a very generous tip.  I doubt you've been branded a bad tipper.  Of course, a good tip will not make up for egregiously bad behavior, but you seem like a respectful person.

I'm going to guess they're simply not very techno-savvy.

Thanks. The shop owner did finally get back to me last night and apologized for the delay and was happy to start the ball rolling for two more guided trips. I will be calling them later today. In any case, glad to hear I'm being a cheapskate! 

I had 80 in cash , had spent a 20 and forgot  after a trip on the Green a few weeks ago and the guide was very happy with it. 100 is generous. You sound like a great client, you did well. 

The guide is expecting 20%. Every time. Always.

If you have a great day, fish extra hours, special water,  whatever.  You should tip the guide more that 20%.

You have already developed a relationship with the shop or guide, that's good, that how you get better fishing opportunities.  The other is tipping well.  Guides don't make a lot of money and they really appreciate good tips - this nearly always translates into good fishing.  Guides are like little old ladies, they always gossip about bad tippers.  Being a bad caster is fine, being a bad tipper is not.  Should should probably bring beers for after the trip too.

50 mins ago, Cpalms said:

If you have a great day, fish extra hours, special water,  whatever.  You should tip the guide more that 20%.

You have already developed a relationship with the shop or guide, that's good, that how you get better fishing opportunities.  The other is tipping well.  Guides don't make a lot of money and they really appreciate good tips - this nearly always translates into good fishing.  Guides are like little old ladies, they always gossip about bad tippers.  Being a bad caster is fine, being a bad tipper is not.  Should should probably bring beers for after the trip too.

I am well aware of all this. But thanks 

On 5/11/2021 at 5:33 PM, guitaristgene said:

I've taken many charters in saltwater in the Keys, Costa Rica, elsewhere and usually count on tipping the captain 20% (and if there is a mate, 10% - 15%). This is related to a freshwater drift trip however. I will be returning for the third year to an area in southern Wyoming to fish the North Platte. For the previous two years I've booked drift trips (full day, by myself) and enjoyed fantastic fly fishing for big trout. In all cases - a total of four drifts - the cost was $500 for the day, about 6 - 7 hours on the river and I tipped my usual 20%, i.e., $100. Was that reasonable? Too little? I ask because I'm trying to book two trips through the same shop for this coming September and in spite of emails and messages via their Facebook page with my request I have not heard back from them. This is strange because they got right back to me before. I doubt they are fully booked as they have 4 or 5 guides working out of the shop and the time I'm going is past "prime time." I'm hoping I haven't been branded a bad tipper and that's why they are not getting back to me! FWIW, I got along great with the three different guides I've used, I think I'm about as low maintenance as they could hope for, I'm a pretty decent caster and fisherman (I think), and in each case gave them a great write up on Trip Advisor. I guess the next step is calling them - d'uh - but I just wanted to know if anyone here has had a similar experience or am I just being paranoid?! I hope not..... I truly did really have a great experience before. Thanks

I am heading to the north platte in Sept also. The week after labor day.

Have you been there in September before?

Praying for a good hopper season

23 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Curious if you apply this to saltwater trips too, which as we know can be much more expensive.  I usually still do $100/day, even though the rate can be $850 or more.  My guys all seem pretty appreciative.

1 hour ago, JCH said:

Curious if you apply this to saltwater trips too, which as we know can be much more expensive.  I usually still do $100/day, even though the rate can be $850 or more.  My guys all seem pretty appreciative.

Always 20%.  On an $850 trip, not less than a $1,000 (plus beer).  Guides are nice people, they will always be appreciative of any tip but behind closed doors, they are expecting 20%...cash, always cash. Nobody is going to be a dick if you give them 15% of course.

If the guide sucked , dirty boat , bad equipment, can’t find fish , unprepared for your target species just like a bad waiter at your table  . They don’t deserve a nickel . That’s how I feel. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can’t figure this at all.

Why not just roll over and open your wallet to these Guides who appear to have semi god status.

$500 to $850 a day is serious coin to most of us.

Ok I believe that  Guides who are owner operators and my view about them is that they should not accept a tip even if one is proffered.. Are they  bussiness men or beggars. 

The Guide who is paid by an Outfitter should be paid a proper living wage which should come out of the quoted price for the days guiding.

He or she should not depend on a tip. How would you feel about being tipped. To some of us it is extremely demeaning. 

I don t go on the theory that a system which includes tipping will ensure a better service,

This should be a given. It should be in everyone’s DNA to do a good job.

Dont forget this is not a one way ticket. The Guide or Outfitter needs your business. The fear of not being given a place in a boat should not even be up for consideration based on how a customer tips  or not.

I can’t believe that every guide and boat is booked for every day throughout the USA.

This whole tipping issues can be resolved quite simply by having a fixed price for the day. That covers everything and especially a fair and decent wage for the Guide.

Dont know about you but my working day was a minimum of 8 hours.

Would we give free lunch, free beer and a nice 20% on top of gear price to our local Bait and Tackle shop.  Never heard of that.

This issue won’t go way until employee guides are paid a proper wage if that is in fact an issue.

Questions like how much should I tip would not be necessary. It obviously causes some stress to some Fishers. On their day out that’s really not great.

Things won’t change unless we challenge the status quo.

Guides don’t have to do this job if the money is low. Everyone has a choice.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

9 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

I can’t figure this at all.

Why not just roll over and open your wallet to these Guides who appear to have semi god status.

$500 to $850 a day is serious coin to most of us.

Ok I believe that  Guides who are owner operators and my view about them is that they should not accept a tip even if one is proffered.. Are they  bussiness men or beggars. 

The Guide who is paid by an Outfitter should be paid a proper living wage which should come out of the quoted price for the days guiding.

He or she should not depend on a tip. How would you feel about being tipped. To some of us it is extremely demeaning. 

I don t go on the theory that a system which includes tipping will ensure a better service,

This should be a given. It should be in everyone’s DNA to do a good job.

Dont forget this is not a one way ticket. The Guide or Outfitter needs your business. The fear of not being given a place in a boat should not even be up for consideration based on how a customer tips  or not.

I can’t believe that every guide and boat is booked for every day throughout the USA.

This whole tipping issues can be resolved quite simply by having a fixed price for the day. That covers everything and especially a fair and decent wage for the Guide.

Dont know about you but my working day was a minimum of 8 hours.

Would we give free lunch, free beer and a nice 20% on top of gear price to our local Bait and Tackle shop.  Never heard of that.

This issue won’t go way until employee guides are paid a proper wage if that is in fact an issue.

Questions like how much should I tip would not be necessary. It obviously causes some stress to some Fishers. On their day out that’s really not great.

Things won’t change unless we challenge the status quo.

Guides don’t have to do this job is the money is low. Everyone has a choice.

Mike

Mike my plummer owns his own business is a great guy, good professional work habits ,gets the job done always fixes the repair , Charges $100 bucks to walk thru the door , parts & labor about $400   should he get $20% ? :laugh:

It’s doesn’t matter what you pay your plumber, bartender, barber, waitress, accountant or gynecologist.  Fishing guides in the US of A are expecting a 20% tip.

Like it or not

Hook

You know what my reply would be. LoL.

I dislike tipping any almost any situation. It is demeaning. It is a way for certain bussiness like restaurants and general hospitality to pay very low hourly rates to certain staff. Those staff members don’t know for sure what their daily income will be. Surely this must cause some stress and worry as most of us either pay rent or a mortgage.

To me it’s feudal and probably biggest in the US.

Mike

10 mins ago, Cpalms said:

It’s doesn’t matter what you pay your plumber, bartender, barber, waitress, accountant or gynecologist.  Fishing guides in the US of A are expecting a 20% tip.

Like it or not

The subject of a tip/ grad.  is all according to the service the guide provides for their client , I tell the story about a day out with my son in the mid Keys of Florida where we boated 8 Tarpon all released , I felt the 20% would have been an insult to the Captain on the boat which to say more was done & their are other times  on a different boat different guide where they were terrible , so it's not an always like it or not