gonfishin

Casting Distance w/9wt set up

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, gonfishin said:

How far does the average fly fisherman cast ?

About 15-20' less than he claims......and about 30-40' less than he should. 

I have a good friend who stands about 5.4 and weighs about 140 with gear on!!!!. He has always played and tested things for the best results. I can't and never could cast more than 40-45', but don't care as I will fish where it works. Be this guy with a 2 hander can throw it 80-100 ' with a flip. Absolute technique, matched equipment and nothing really expensive. He makes me look dumb!!!!:beatin:

I cast from a kayak all the time. Practice while seated in one of those low beach chairs or kneeling/sitting on your feet. You find it removes all that body English and forces you to work on mechanics. Practice with no fly, those 4-6” will cause you problems working on mechanics. You really have to keep the back cast up in a kayak when trying for distance.

I try to work on stripping in all but 20-25’ of head then shooting out the same amount with no false casts. It helps me stay in the grove and realize how little power you need if you have the mechanics down.

I am not a good caster, but keep working it every chance I get

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm going back to your original post, "So far been able to cast so i get 5-10' of the purple fly line off the rod." I am not aware of any fly line that comes in "purple". What is actually on your rod? When you try to cast do you have 30+/- ft of your fly line (the weighted head of the line) outside the top guide? If not, then you need to learn how to "load" the rod in order to make a cast. Shorten your learning curve and ease the frustration by taking casting lessons.

Edit: Well, I learned something today. Airflo makes a purple fly line in a 9 wt. Other questions above remain relevant ;)

Edited by Ladyfish

Rio Quickshooter XP- head length is 32' (clear) , then the running line (light purple) ...last night the head shot through nicely + 5'  of the running line.  Tweaked my technique after watching a Lefty Kreh video on the 4 principles of fly casting, helping to understand mechanics , no doubt feeling the load, its a journey.

Great discussion , thanks for all the help & advice.

Rio Quickshooter XP- head length is 32' (clear) , running line (light purple) 68'...the head shoots through nice + 5-10 ' of the running line.  last night everything i had stripped went through the guides nicely.

I can cast 90 feet or so with almost no effort with a 3-4" deceiver if I am standing on the front seat/platform of my skiff.  Seated with my bottom on the waterline in my kayak, it's 75 feet at best.   So I wouldn't underestimate the difference between standing up with the casting hand 6' off the water as opposed to sitting with it 2' off the water.  

18 hours ago, gonfishin said:

I feel the rod load for sure ,  and am comfortable and  and somewhat accurate at 30'. But that doesn't mean my mechanics at this point will  get me beyond the 30' . Thats  where hands on guidance i think is needed, which i will find.

Where do you live?  If in NJ I'd be glad to give you a lesson.  I'm fly fishing about 25 years and fished both fish and salt and a pretty decent caster.  Helped teach casting at local Orvis. I'm in Marlton NJ.  B out 15 miles east of Philly.

General question-i'm able to shoot  all  line i stripped off the reel , 30-35' ft or so.

Should i strip off more and let it lay in my basket to achieve a greater distance ?

I would suggest using a barbless hook.

Since you’re new and you’re trying to get more distance that means you’re probably a little aggressive with your casting stroke.  
I have a hunch that fly is zipping past your head at a good clip.  Barbless makes it easier to extract the fly from your cheek, ear or clothes.

It’s just a suggestion ( based on personal experience)