gonfishin

Casting Distance w/9wt set up

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm new to fly fishing this spring , fishing mostly from a Kayak, always in saltwater for Striped Bass/ Bluefish. I also practice standing on the sod banks. I own a 9' 9wt with Rio Quick shooter line.  I know theres a lot that goes into learning to cast and its  a process, and it should get better i hope. 

How far should i be able to cast a 4-6" fly.  So far been able to cast so i get 5-10' of the purple fly line off the rod. So i've managed a 30' cast , maybe .i've also learned to mend line to get more line in the water for a longer retrieve. No fish caught yet.

Edited by gonfishin

That depends on where the fish are or should be.Alot depends on the setup you are using and the flies you want to use.Casting well into a hoola hoop at 50' should put you into most situations.Many here can toss the entire line if needed.But,80% of your fish will be alot closer.Fishing the beach at certain times you have to stand back from the water because the fish are at your feet or within 25'.

I’m not sure what advice to give you.  I’ve been fly fishing for over 40 years, but I can’t relate to the idea of learning to cast a saltwater outfit before learning basic casting on a trout-sized setup, and with a more conventional fly line.  The fact that you’re casting from a kayak adds still another variable.  Some will disagree with me, but I think you’re putting the cart before the horse.

There’s no disadvantage to o being able to cast far. A 60’ cast in nice conditions quickly becomes 30’ (or less) when the wind kicks up. Also, a 60’ cast with a crap town of effort isn’t very good. 

As said above, take a lesson, find a friend that’s a good caster. Ed Jaworowski’s books are about as good as you can get in print. Plenty of video options as well. 

if you’re starting out I’d work at whatever distance is comfortable, watch your backcast, watch your loop size. Practice eliminating false casts. If it takes you 4 to get your max distance challenge yourself to do it with fewer false casts. 

I think my original question is flawed and pre-mature . I'm equating the achievement of distance with as a measure of success and accomplishment. Your suggestion of learning correctly is the way to go , and great advice too, and the rest will come.  Until then i'll do my best , and hopefully something eats my fly.

Just because you have a 9 wt line “matched” to your 9 wt rod doesn’t necessarily mean that your rod is loading properly.  An underlined rod will certainly frustrate a new caster, as It can be very difficult to get feedback from the rod on how the casting process should feel.  If lessons are not in the equation right now, see if you can find any clubs or organizations in your area where you can get together with other fly fishermen or women and get some help.

2 hours ago, gonfishin said:

I'm new to fly fishing this spring , fishing mostly from a Kayak, always in saltwater for Striped Bass/ Bluefish. I also practice standing on the sod banks. I own a 9' 9wt with Rio Quick shooter line.  I know theres a lot that goes into learning to cast and its  a process, and it should get better i hope. 

How far should i be able to cast a 4-6" fly.  So far been able to cast so i get 5-10' of the purple fly line off the rod. So i've managed a 30' cast , maybe .i've also learned to mend line to get more line in the water for a longer retrieve. No fish caught yet.

A 6" fly is large and hard to cast..cast something smaller (and lighter).  Everything that swims will eat a small chartreuse deceiver or clouser (with small head)

Edited by Cpalms

I'm a decent caster and still get frustrated from casting from a kayak... especially if i'm trying to fish specific structure or set up a specific retrieve. I would recommend practicing casting on solid ground whenever you can. If you practice on the beaches you could even catch a schoolie or two in the process. 

What kind of rod do you have? Flies-n-plugs is right that if the line isn't loading the rod - especially with a large fly - it can be a nightmare. Those quickshooter lines have pretty heavy heads so you should be good, but depending on the rod model, it could still be an issue. 

I feel the rod load for sure ,  and am comfortable and  and somewhat accurate at 30'. But that doesn't mean my mechanics at this point will  get me beyond the 30' . Thats  where hands on guidance i think is needed, which i will find.

3 hours ago, gonfishin said:

I think my original question is flawed and pre-mature . I'm equating the achievement of distance with as a measure of success and accomplishment. Your suggestion of learning correctly is the way to go , and great advice too, and the rest will come.  Until then i'll do my best , and hopefully something eats my fly.

I don't think it's flawed at all. Distance is important, very important in the salt (for my reasons mentioned above). 

There were 2 things that got me going in salt water fly fishing - the actual fishing part and casting. If fishing sucked it was time to work on casting, that's how I approached every outing. The conditions can be harsh at times and being able to handle them is key to being successful. Sure, one can be a fair weather salt water fly person in the NE but that won't get you very far. Every trip out, use it as a casting lesson. Maybe you'll catch a few along the way but refining you casting will pay off down the road. You should always be trying to cast longer distances with fewer false casts/effort.

Are you casting while sitting in a kayak?  If so, how far can you cast while standing on the sod bank, in a field, or on a skiff?

It seems like casting while sitting in a kayak would benefit from a very short head, short casting stroke, short leader, and a smaller fly.

If on a sod bank, with a few lessons and practices should should be able to hit 60'.

Can’t stress a good double haul enough.  If you are casting accurately with out over powering the rod to 30’ it is a good assumption that your mechanics are sufficient.  Might need some tweaking, but sufficient.  Adding a smooth double haul to your cast while shooting line on both the forward and back cast should get you out to 60’ or more in no time.  Just remember do not ad any more power to your stroke just add more time between them to allow your line and leader to unroll and increase your rod travel as more line is out past the rod tip.  More power only creates wind knots and open loops.  The weight of the fly line loads your rod not the power you put into the rod.  

Distance is great to have when you need it but someone mentioned learning to cast on a trout stream first and while maybe some would scoff at the notion, there are reasons that's great advice.  

The dynamics of casting require learned technique which is easier to identify in the hands of a lighter rod, reel and line.  The rod's swing weight, the reel's pendulum weight and probably the most critical aspect when casting long, the weight of the line.  All these aspects will interrupt the learning process when your practicing proper technique, so learning on a trout stream as it were, is the right way to perfect the technique necesary on your average 9 an 10wt striper rods, shooting heads large arbor reels and wind.

The best advice I can give is to dedicate your self to the cast. 

Like a pitcher's craft or a marksman's eye, nothing replaces repetition and experience.  Study the requirements for maximising distance and efficiency and take pride in the effort required to achieve it.  Lefty kreh has a number of great books on casting mechanics and technique, check them out.  

Edited by DeepBlue85