Jay Blair

Butterfly Hummingbird Garden

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Being into fishing and nature I planted a hummingbird and butterfly garden and did a lot of research on it.  I live in rural area surrounded by woods and fields so their is a lot of fodder for butterflies and I wanted the perennials that attract the most pollinators.

The end of July and early August is the peak for butterflies and hummingbirds and I planted many of the top cultivars for attracting them.

1. 14 Old time Buddleia butterfly bush cultivars like Black Knight and White Profusion.

2. Three types of Verbenas

3. Three types of butterfly and hummingbird mints.

4. Two types of Lantanas.

5, Two types of bee balm/Monarda plants

6. Russian Sage.

Last year I had over 8 dozen swallow tails at one time and numerous hummingbirds and other butterflies and bees. 

20200812_113510.jpg

20190720_165206.jpg

20200812_113932.jpg

20190720_165550.jpg

Edited by Jay Blair

Very nice.  You could add some rudbeckia if you have more room.  Another easy and self sowing favorite of butterflies. 

16C444B9-5863-4551-B6A3-53ED46FC2798.jpeg

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Very nice.  You could add some rudbeckia if you have more room.  Another easy and self sowing favorite of butterflies. 

16C444B9-5863-4551-B6A3-53ED46FC2798.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion and maybe next year I will add some. Last year the Japanese beetles and june bugs ate all pedals on my cone flowers, so they were not good performers.

This year I wanted to plant perennials that were deer resistant like most of the members of the mint family because they attract the butterflies, hummingbirds and bees.

Nice pic of a female Southern tiger swallow tail JimW.

I got a couple of giant swallow tails towards the end of the season, but no zebra swallow tails yet. I planted a number of pawpaw trees and the zebra swallowtail caterpillars feed on them, so maybe this year they will show up.

So far I have been getting mostly tiger, black, spice bush, and pipevine swallowtails with some admirals. painted ladies, American Ladies, monarchs, spangled frillars, variegated frillars, wood satyrs, commas, snouts, American coppers, cabbage butterflies, sulphurs, checkerspots, mourning cloaks, and numerous smaller butterflies including skippers.

The only thing I have in bloom right now are verbenas, woodbine honey suckle, and lantanas. The butterflies and hummingbirds are already feeding on them, however the butterflies need heat and sunlight to warm their fragile thin bodies so I have only seen a few on warm Spring days.

The end of July and August is prime time for butterflies.

The top performers for attracting butterflies are the Buddleias and Bee Balms. 

Edited by Jay Blair

You’re ahead of us.  Verbena week or two away, as are buddleia, lantana in hanging baskets and kerria about all that’s happening.   I can’t ID many butterflies but we do get a good variety.  Hummingbirds aren’t finding much here now but there’s a couple around. They often arrive a little early and I see them hitting holes the sapsuckers make. 

Jim W, It has been a cool wet Spring so far in the Mid-Atlantic and we finally have a warming trend coming next week. Some of my plants have not done much because of the cold snap and I am looking forward to seeing them start making progress again.

New perennials tend to sleep, then creep, and finally leap into a growth spurt once they get established. My lantanas have gone into stasis during this cool weather.

Edited by Jay Blair

Add a few annuals that are super easy.  I like Zinnias and so do the flutterbys.

And you can get some nice cut flowers all summer.

Get a variety pack.  Save a few dried out flower heads for next year.  Sow directly into the garden - about now.

images.jpg

I started some cleome as an annual hummingbird and butterfly attractor.  Couple clumps by the front porch where we can sit and be entertained.  

Last summer they were on Rose of Sharon, Salvia, Columbine, Beebalm, Cardinal flower (lobelia), Sweet pea, Morning Glory, and Scarlet Runner bean blooms.

I have two friends in Putnam county, NY, who already have hummers.

The hummers have been busy and I am seeing more spice bush and tiger swallowtails the last couple of days.

The butterflies that Winter over as chrysalises seem to be few in number compared to the first brood that hatches during the Summer. 

Edited by Jay Blair