MaxKatt

"Take Job or Lose Benefits." - Joe Biden order to Labor Dept.

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

1)  Contrary to the thread suggesting restaurants can't staff up because people are sitting home collecting benefits... per below...there has never been any evidence this conservative myth is true.

2)  And while disputing the myth of people passing up jobs to collect benefits, Biden ordered the Labor Department to ensure it isn't happening.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.34.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.29.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.30.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.28.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.29.17 AM.png

I'm a manufacturing engineer and do a lot of hiring/firing. Some of our factory jobs are minimum wage where you just need the basic use if your frontal cortex to do the job. I've lost count of how many people turned down jobs admittedly because they would make more on unemployment. They said this to my face.

In addition, we get hundreds of applications through Indeed on a weekly basis. Out of all the applications we pull and arrange an in person interview, maybe 1 out of 20 actually show up. After opining about this to some other manufacturing friends over beers, one shook his head knowingly and told me it's a known thing; unemployed people applying to every job in their area on job sites with no intention of taking the job just so they can prove to unemployment that they've been looking and applying for jobs.

If Biden is serious about this, all the better. However let's not pretend that it's a myth that people are turning down jobs for unemployment benefits.

1 min ago, occidentalist said:

I'm a manufacturing engineer and do a lot of hiring/firing. Some of our factory jobs are minimum wage where you just need the basic use if your frontal cortex to do the job. I've lost count of how many people turned down jobs admittedly because they would make more on unemployment. They said this to my face.

In addition, we get hundreds of applications through Indeed on a weekly basis. Out of all the applications we pull and arrange an in person interview, maybe 1 out of 20 actually show up. After opining about this to some other manufacturing friends over beers, one shook his head knowingly and told me it's a known thing; unemployed people applying to every job in their area on job sites with no intention of taking the job just so they can prove to unemployment that they've been looking and applying for jobs.

If Biden is serious about this, all the better. However let's not pretend that it's a myth that people are turning down jobs for unemployment benefits.

I don't deny your experience, and I'm sure some people do ride the benefits to the end.

I'm just telling you every credible study I've ever read demonstrates that's not the majority of the people.  

Most people are good, honest, and want to work hard for an honest day's pay.  Benefits aren't that much, and they run out quick.  The studies continually find people know this, and do their best to get back on paying work asap.

24 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

1)  Contrary to the thread suggesting restaurants can't staff up because people are sitting home collecting benefits... per below...there has never been any evidence this conservative myth is true.

2)  And while disputing the myth of people passing up jobs to collect benefits, Biden ordered the Labor Department to ensure it isn't happening.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.34.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.29.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.30.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.28.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.29.17 AM.png

WOW! Talking about fake news, too many people I know look upon unemployment insurance as free money.  I can’t help but wonder, “How many of them know this so-called free money is taxable?”

Debunking Conservative Myths

2010  Edition :squid:

Maxx, stop being such a partisan hack... good lord almighty you get led around by the nose so easily :rolleyes:

13 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

The studies continually find people know this, and do their best to get back on paying work asap.

Right, as soon as they aren't giving up the extra $$$ they were being paid to stay home  :dismay:

This isn't Rocket Surgery 

Posted (edited) · Report post

what a maroon!

Biden tells the Feds to enforce policy rules on unemployment that ALREADY EXISTS at the state level and this is some sort of change in policy? a sign of resolve by Biden? 

Further, the supporting articles are from June and July 2020, at least two stimulus bills ago and then waaaay back in 2010, as if that has ANY RELEVANCE today. 

Maxxiepad is a dishonest interlocutor and is, once again, trolling. 

BTW, in case Maxxie wants to tackle this question: How does the federal government collect data on individual Americans and their job searching activities?

I will help out, the Fed collect nothing of the sort, so this entire "order" is bullchit. 

Edited by flyangler

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have some pride max

Your cheerleading is an embarrassment.  

Find some dignity for cryin' out loud.  

Edited by JimG

1 min ago, JimG said:

Have some pride max

Your cheerleading is an embarrassment.  

Find some dignity for cryin' out loud.  

He actually thinks he's important to Biden I think. 

31 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

I don't deny your experience, and I'm sure some people do ride the benefits to the end.

I'm just telling you every credible study I've ever read demonstrates that's not the majority of the people.  

Most people are good, honest, and want to work hard for an honest day's pay.  Benefits aren't that much, and they run out quick.  The studies continually find people know this, and do their best to get back on paying work asap.

It's not about riding benefits to the end. It's about the extra money the government keeps coughing up to the unemployed under the guise of coronavirus relief. It's simple math. If you give a guy who makes $16/hr. ($640/week) the choice of going to work for 40 hours to make that $640 or receiving unemployment pay plus an extra $300/week for doing nothing, they will choose the latter. It was even worse last year when it was an extra $600/week.

2 mins ago, Mokes said:

He actually thinks he's important to Biden I think. 

You think that's it.   He sees himself as a online minuteman patriot?  LOL

I feel like in 1776 people would have tarred and feathered him ... or traded him to an Indian tribe as a slave in exchange for some leather.

9 mins ago, JimG said:

You think that's it.   He sees himself as a online minuteman patriot?  LOL

I feel like in 1776 people would have tarred and feathered him ... or traded him to an Indian tribe as a slave in exchange for some leather.

Put him in stocks and pelt him with rocks lol. "Oops....sorry....thought that was a tomato."

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

Here you go Skippy. Governor Heir Wolf is on record saying they will not revoke unemployment for not returning to work. Then, I would really be curious to your opinion on why a top rated employer in my area has increased starting wages for warehouse workers from $18-$23/hr to $23-$30/hr plus a $5000 sign on bonus, and still can't get enough people. Here are the requirements, nothing too difficult to meet. So much for not paying living wages.

• High school diploma or equivalent.
  • Desire to work in a fast-paced, organized and positive warehouse environment.
  • Ability to frequently lift, push, and slide packages that typically weigh up to 50 lbs, and may weigh up to 70 lbs.
  • Ability to work full-time, 40 hours per week.
  • Attention to detail and good time management skills.

Pa. officials cause confusion over unemployment benefits, refusing to return to work

by: Taylor Tosheff

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 / 06:06 PM EDT / Updated: Apr 21, 2021 / 03:35 PM EDT

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — There has been some confusion surrounding a response from Governor Wolf after a business owner asked a question about unemployment benefits during Monday’s press briefing.

“If we have employees that are currently laid off and we call them back to work and they tell us that they don’t or won’t come back because they’re getting paid more with unemployment and the $600 bonus, what can we do?” asked a business owner. “Can their unemployment be revoked?”

“No,” said Governor Wolf. “And as a former business owner, if you ever face that kind of situation, there’s one really simple thing you can do as a business owner and that is raise the compensation of your employees.”

49 mins ago, flyangler said:

what a maroon!

Biden tells the Feds to enforce policy rules on unemployment that ALREADY EXISTS at the state level and this is some sort of change in policy? a sign of resolve by Biden? 

Further, the supporting articles are from June and July 2020, at least two stimulus bills ago and then waaaay back in 2010, as if that has ANY RELEVANCE today. 

Maxxiepad is a dishonest interlocutor and is, once again, trolling. 

BTW, in case Maxxie wants to tackle this question: How does the federal government collect data on individual Americans and their job searching activities?

I will help out, the Fed collect nothing of the sort, so this entire "order" is bullchit. 

Just telling you the facts...

1)  It's a myth that people sit home collecting benefits instead of accepting a job.

2)  To the extent anyone has passed on a job in favor of benefits, Joe has ordered benefits stop.